- Student Exclusive: Amazon Prime Student members save 10% on all textbook purchases. Enter code TEXT10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Tips for Teaching with CALL: Practical Approaches for Computer-Assisted Language Learning Paperback – Mar 17 2008
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Tips for Teaching with CALL: Practical Approaches to Computer-Assisted Language Learning , by Carol A. Chapelle and Joan Jamieson, introduces English language teachers to computer-assisted language learning, or CALL. This practical reference book links specific techniques for using CALL with contemporary CALL research. The book and companion CD-ROM clearly demonstrate why and how to use CALL to teach vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking, communication skills, and content-based language.
Features of the Book:
- Color screenshots of authentic CALL software, along with descriptions, level information, and notes, illustrate more than 100 real examples.
- Concrete tips at the beginning of each chapter help teachers get students working productively with electronic texts.
- What the research says and What the teacher can do sections link pedagogical research with classroom techniques.
- Specific topics covered in different chapters include Vocabulary, Grammar, Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Communication Skills, and Content-Based Language.
- Focus questions at the end of each chapter guide teachers in selecting appropriate CALL activities for their students' needs.
Features of the CD-ROM:
- Interactive video clips show application of tips from each chapter.
- Demonstration tips show students using authentic CALL software.
- Simulation tips guide teachers through using authentic CALL programs.
The Tips for Teaching series covers topics of practical classroom-centered interest for English language teachers. Written in clearly comprehensible terms, each book offers soundly conceived practical approaches to classroom instruction that are firnly grounded in current pedagogical research.
- Windows® 2000/XP/Vista or Mac OSX (10.3 or higher)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6.x, SafariTM 1.x, Firefox® 1.x, Mozilla® 1.x, NetscapeTM 7.x or later
- 256 MB RAM minimum (512+ MB recommended)
- 500 MB available hard drive space
- Monitor resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher
- Sound card and speakers
- CD-ROM drive (10x or faster)
- Adobe® Flash® 8 plug-in or higher (Note: If your computer does not have this plug-in, and Internet connection is required for installation.)
About the Author
Joan Jamieson (Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education, University of Illinois) is Professor of English/Applied Linguistics at Northern Arizona University. In the MA-TESL program and the doctoral program in Applied Linguistics, she teaches classes in CALL, second language testing, and research design and statistics for applied linguistics. Joan has been involved in several research and development projects in these areas, as reflected in her publications. Carol A. Chapelle (Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education, University of Illinois) is Professor of TESL/Applied Linguistics at Iowa State University. She teaches classes in CALL, second language testing, and second language acquisition in an MA program in TESL/Applied Linguistics with specialization in CALL and in a Ph.D. program in Applied Linguistics & Technology. Carol has published widely in these areas. She has served as editor of TESOL Quarterly, and she is second vice president of the American Association for Applied Linguistics.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
easiness to read and understand 8/10
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Introductory & Beginning > Computer Dictionaries
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Computer
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > English as a Second Language
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching > Computers & Technology
- Books > Textbooks > Education
- Books > Textbooks > English As a Second Language
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages