Tolstoy: Death of Ivan Ilyich Paperback – Jan 1 1998
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Michael Beresford was Senior Lecturer in Russian at theUniversity of Manchester, U.K.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The introduction is written in English, and it tells a bit about Tolstoy himself, and about the novella's significance and influence on other literary works.
The text (IN RUSSIAN, do not think otherwise!) is the unabridged version, and is printed with stress marks, something that, as a Russian student who reads the text aloud for practice, I very much appreciate! It's rare for a text in Russian to include such stress marks.
The endnotes are frequent and very helpful, describing things from difficult grammatical constructions to the card games Ivan Ilyich and his colleagues might have played, to inconsistencies in Tolstoy's own reporting of dates and times.
There is a Russian-English dictionary in the back, which includes key terms that learners might not necessarily know--specifically, there is a lot of terminology related to medicine and law (two subjects on which, given the nature of the story, technical terminology frequently appears in the text).
In short, I absolutely love this edition. It enables Russian students and non-native speakers to read and understand one of Tolstoy's most famous and important novellas. It's one of those rare unabridged Tolstoy stories that's accessible to even third- or fourth-year Russian students!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Russian
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Russian
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Russian
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > European
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > Russian
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > Creative Writing & Composition
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > World Literature > European