- Hardcover: 416 pages
- Publisher: Rizzoli; Slp edition (Nov. 4 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0847826694
- ISBN-13: 978-0847826698
- Product Dimensions: 29.1 x 6 x 37.1 cm
- Shipping Weight: 4.8 Kg
- Average Customer Review: 3 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #2,849 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Tom Ford Hardcover – Nov 4 2008
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
This enormous compendium may be Ford's swan song as a designer, as he recently announced that he was quitting fashion to direct movies. But for the last 10 years, as the creative director at Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent, he took the brands in fresh directions. This huge, slipcased Festschrift checks in at 11"×14", and covers each of the Gucci years individually, compiling product shots, ads, runway candids, snippets of Ford wisdom ("I think you have to have personality at a brand—otherwise, it's just clothes"), Gucci-sporting celebrities and commercial stills. Vogue's Anna Wintour and Vanity Fair's Graydon Carter contribute a foreword and introduction respectively. The much-covered growth at Gucci and YSL are the real story behind the book, to the point where the press chat credits Ford with "carving out a new industry archetype: the businessman designer." But the 375 color and b&w photos, all culled from existing fashion archives, is more of a look back at how Ford's creations were presented (including year-by-year portraits of the photogenic Ford himself), rather than what led to their creation, how they were actually made or how they fit into the culture at large. As a 10-year time capsule of brand fashioning, the book succeeds perfectly.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
About the Author
Bridget Foley has always loved storytelling. She's the author of several screenplays and is often featured on annual industry best-of lists. "Hugo & Rose" is her first novel.
Tom Ford has been showered with design awards in recent years, including 3 awards from the Council of Fashion Designers of America, 5 VH1/ Vogue Fashion Awards, British GQ International Man of the Year, and Designer of the Year by GQ America.
Anna Wintour is the editor of American Vogue.
Graydon Carter has been the editor-in-chief of Vanity Fair since 1992. Previously, he was the editor of The New York Observer and the cofounder of Spy. He is the producer of the acclaimed film The Kid Stays in the Picture and the executive producer of the Emmy- and Peabody Award-winning documentary 9/11. He lives in New York.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Artists, A-Z
- Books > Arts & Photography > Design & Decorative Arts > Design History & Criticism
- Books > Arts & Photography > Design & Decorative Arts > Graphic Design > Commercial
- Books > Arts & Photography > Fashion > Commercial
- Books > Arts & Photography > Fashion > Designers
- Books > Arts & Photography > Fashion > History
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Fashion
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > How-to
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Pop Culture > Fashion
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Humanities