Top Gun Soundtrack
|Price:||CDN$ 10.00 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|1. Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins|
|2. Mighty Wings - Cheap Trick|
|3. Playing With The Boys - Kenny Loggins|
|4. Lead Me On - Teena Marie|
|5. Take My Breath Away (Love Theme) - Berlin|
|6. Hot Summer Nights - Miami Sound Machine|
|7. Heaven In Your Eyes - Loverboy|
|8. Through The Fire - Larry Greene|
|9. Destination Unknown - Marietta|
|10. Top Gun Anthem - Harold Faltermeyer/Steve Stevens|
|11. (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding|
|12. Memories - Harold Faltermeyer|
|13. Great Balls Of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis|
|14. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling - The Righteous Brothers|
|15. Playing With The Boys (Dance Mix) - Kenny Loggins|
Digitally remastered edition of the mammoth soundtrack that adds 5 bonus tracks to the lineup: REO Speedwagon-I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore, Mr. Mister - Broken Wings, Europe-The Final Countdown, Starship-Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now and Jennifer Rush-The Power Of Love.
Legend has it that this soundtrack was an in-flight favorite for Air Force fighter jocks ferrying smart-bombs into downtown Baghdad during the Gulf War. If nothing else, it's a time-capsule-ready example of what the jingoistic side of Reaganism wrought in Hollywood during the mid-'80s. With a musical cast of veterans (the insufferable Kenny Loggins, long-suffering Cheap Trick), one-hit wonders (Berlin, Loverboy) and promising newcomers (Miami Sound Machine) cranking the corps-rock out to order, Top Gun sold millions. Tellingly, post-Gulf War, a guilt-ridden Loggins refuses to perform the album's biggest hit (and tub-thumper), "Danger Zone." --Jerry McCulley --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Danger Zone, performed by Kenny Loggins
- Obviously, the most popular song on the album and one of the best. Ironically, Kenny wasn't the original choice for this song and he was last minute. Who would've thought that this would become his biggest staple?
Mighty Wings, performed by Cheap Trick
- GREAT SONG, and the only one Harold Faltermeyer wrote (he would use some of the instrumentation from this song and put it with his score). This is by far my favorite track on this soundtrack, although it sounds quite different from Cheap Trick's other songs.
Playing with the Boys, performed by Kenny Loggins
- While far from bad, I never quite got into this song. Still pleasurable to listen to, however. Kenny also co-wrote this song.
Lead Me On, performed by Teena Marie
- Pretty good pop tune, Teena Marie has some top-notch vocals here. This one took a while for me to enjoy, but let it grow on you and you can see why it's good.
Take My Breath Away, performed by Berlin
- Often titled the "Love Theme" from Top Gun, this quite good. The mood of the song combined with great vocals brings us a great romantic ballad.Read more ›
Usually good movies have bad soundtracks, or bad movies have good soundtracks. Top Gun is different. It is a great movie with a great soundtrack. What are the odds of that? Though most of these songs never went on to be big hits for their respective artists, no one can deny that they are anything short of excellent. Now, a brief description of each track:
1. Danger Zone, by Kenny Loggins - The most rock and roll song on the album. This tune shows up frequently in the film, and is probably the most popular to surface from it. Caddyshack and Footloose demonstrated that Loggins is excellent at making songs for movie soundtracks, and this even better than the songs he made for those movies.
2. Mighty Wings, by Cheap Trick - This is another mostly rock and roll song, a kind of mini-epic dealing with the struggle to be the best Top Gun pilot around. This one shows up during one dogfight in the film, and in the second half of the end credits. Never very popular, but still cool. DO NOT EXPECT THIS TRACK TO SOUND ANYTHING LIKE CHEAP TRICK'S BIGGEST HIT, I WANT YOU TO WANT ME.
3. Playing With The Boys, by Kenny Loggins - Pure eighties pop. This song just deals with having fun and has the tune to go along with it. It appears in the film during the volleyball scene. Not as good as Danger Zone, but still good.
4. Lead Me On by Teena Marie - One of the best songs on the album, but also one of the most underrated. It seems to deal with a battle of the past, though it's really tough to tell. This song appears in the film during the first half of the orientation party. Why did this song never become a big hit for Marie?
5.Read more ›
Loggins two contributions are among the best on the album. You can almost see the F-14's taking off from the carrier during the opening song "Danger Zone", or Tom Cruise swatting the volleyball on "Playing with the Boys". Berlin adds the love theme with the beautiful "Take My Breath Away", and Cheap Trick scores big with "Mighty Wings". Also included on the extended soundtrack are several songs that were vital to the progression of the film, yet not included on the original soundtrack such as Otis Redding's "Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay", Jerry Lee Lewis's "Great Balls of Fire", and "You've Lost that Loving Feeling" by the Righteous Brothers. Their additions rights a serious ommission and completes the soundtrack.
The remastering really does justice to the songs, and this compilation of great music is complemented by extended liner notes featuring extra photographs and all of the lyrics. (gotta love the extras). All told this is a great collection of rock songs, and a must have soundtrack.
Most recent customer reviews
Great music by great artists..and fits the movie so well. Fave would be "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins..never get tired of it!Published on March 18 2013 by Paul G.
I saw this movie in the 80's & liked the songs. I bought this CD as a reminder. 5 songs are great, the rest could stay in the 80's.Published on July 21 2008 by Martine
Here is the tracklist:
1. Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins
2. Mighty Wings - Cheap Trick
3. Playing With the Boys - Kenny Loggins
4. Lead Me On - Teena Marie
5. Read more
Hopefully everyone has seen the movie because it is top notch. The first time the sound track came out a couple of key tracks were left off (Righteous Brothers- you've lost that... Read morePublished on March 27 2004
If you love movie soundtracks of the 80's to early 90's this is definantly a must own...This is one of those cd's where you can listen through without having to skip over songs. Read morePublished on March 19 2004 by Deidre
I liked the soundtrack in the movie...a lot.
I thought the SACD would be a complete remix of the original soundtrack masters. Read more
I love every song on this soundtrack ,especially the Top Gun Anthem. It is a great piece of music, and I'm glad it's on the CD. Read morePublished on Jan. 3 2004