|Price:||CDN$ 8.00 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 25. Details|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|1. Prison Song|
|3. Deer Dance|
|4. Jet Pilot|
|6. Chop Suey!|
2001 album from the California Metal quartet led by Serj Tankian. The album was produced by Rick Rubin.
System of a Down's sophomore effort is a musically and lyrically ambitious 14-song collection that's even more left-of-center and powerful than their 1998 self-titled debut. Here the Los Angeles-bred foursome tackle everything from government ("Prison Song") to cocaine-crazed groupies ("Psycho") in a more pointed and aggressive manner than Rage Against the Machine. Serj Tankian's hardcore vocals and occasional Middle Eastern flourishes ("Science") contribute to the unique, ultra-intense, and quirky qualities of System circa 2001. Unexpected time changes and death-metal-like intensity give way to mellower moments, all of which make for demanding but irresistible listening. Toxicity is a masterful, unusual, and forceful opus. This release includes a bonus CD-ROM that includes behind-the-scenes footage, band commentary, and concert clips. --Katherine Turman --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
1. Prison Song 8/10 Only an 8 because I am comparing it to the other songs on the cd that are better. But a great song non the less.
2 Needles 9/10 One of the best songs on the album. Very hardcore but slows down when the guitarest starts to sing.
3. Deer Dance 8/10 A great song great chorus
4. Jet Pilot 6/10 You just cant start a song screaming even if you are System of a down
5. X 10/10 unbelievable...this is when I knew the cd wouldnt stop being good
6. Chop Suey 10/10 good first single got me to buy the cd Chop suey is not even mentioned in the song lol
7. Bounce Very 8/10 If it carried on it would be bad but is less then 2 mintues long so its good.
8. Forest 10/10 My 3rd favorite on the cd....It is another crazy hard then mellow song....wow how does Serj Tankian do it?
9. Atwa 12/10 My favorite song on the cd...slow mellow into "YOU DONT CARE ABOUT HOW I FEEL!"
10. Science. 9/10 Fast and quick and so damn good.
11. Shimmy 10/10 Looking to get pumped up, listen to it over and over
12. Toxicity 9/10 This song is a reason they could be the best band in the world
13. Psycho 8/10 Why did they describe their fans like this? Oh wait... because we are Psycho cocained and crazy!?!
14. Aerials 10/10 2nd best song and 3rd single on the cd....the middle eastern jive at the end is unreal.
At first I did not like the band as much as I do now. Their first cd did not do that much for me...but Chop Suey changed all ofd that. So do yourself a favor dont burn this cd....give the band the credit they deserve and go buy it...twice!
Fortunately, there are a couple of gems on this album. "Chop Suey" sounds almost like an outake from the first album that the band deemed (thankfully) worthy to include on this disc. "Bounce" has to be one of the most fun and weirdest songs that I have ever encountered in any genre. It truly does make you want to bounce along with it, no matter what musical stylings you prefer. Unfortunately, the rest of the album is rather monotonous without much diversity.
Besides the aforementioned two songs, the lyrics still remain true to the first album. They delve into personal ambitions, goals, veiwpoints, and feelings on various subjects. Hopefully, on their next album, the music will catch back up with the lyrics. Other than that, additional disc is kind of nice. It does give a good little glimpse of the band and their goings-on. If you are not really a Nu-metal fan or are expecting a repeat of their first album, then a couple of good songs and a bonus disc might not be worth your while.
Most recent customer reviews
Hard rocking album shows how much promise this band has. Smokin' bass=lines, crazy harmony, very distinctive vocals, these guys have it allPublished on Nov. 28 2012 by Langer
SOAD have really improved from their last outing, fans argue wether Mesmerize/Toxicity is the highlight of their career, I say they're equal. Read morePublished on Dec 22 2007 by ...
OMG! this album rocks hardcore! i culdnt belive how good it was when i first heard it. my personal fav song on this album is forrest. great heavy guitar work on it! Read morePublished on July 20 2006 by kirk
To have any level of credibility as a 'music critic' you need not only an ear, but enough upstairs to properly analyze what the ear absorbs. Read morePublished on March 9 2006 by Tre
First of all SOAD rules. Mesmerize/Hypnotise are their more mellow works but in my opinion the best. Toxicity had me hooked the first time I listened to it. Read morePublished on March 1 2006 by method
this is an amazing song the riffs and lyrics are wicked at first i hated system of a down but my friend made me listin 2 mezmerize after that i really liked s.o.a. Read morePublished on Dec 27 2005 by chimaira