- Save 15% on all books purchases. Enter code PROMO15 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
U.S. Army Tactics Field Manual Paperback – Jan 15 2013
|New from||Used from|
Back to University 2016
Save on College Prep Essentials on Amazon.ca. Shop now
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
The Department of the Army. Headquarters, US Army Training and Doctrine Command.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Even though the manual warns that it needs to be read alongside the other field manuals, I find this book to be fairly accessible. I have no military training, but I can understand most of what the book is referring to without googling up terms. It gives examples at the right time and has a lot of helpful graphics. Even two chapters in, I've already learned a lot about the basics of military tactics.
Like most manuals, it tends to explain concepts in a few paragraphs when all it needed was a few sentences. It also has a lot of "dictionary speak", which is fine for military officers but not as appealing to any civilians reading it.
My main critique is that the organization of the information is subpar. The vocabulary definitions occasionally refer to concepts that aren't introduced until several pages later (such as when the book describes a trigger line as a type of phase line without telling the reader what a phase line is).
But if you can ignore the convoluted writing style, the book is quite informative. It is the army's field manual, so it's much more detailed than other sources I've come across. I'll have to wait until I finish the book before I can wholeheartedly recommend it though.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference
- Books > History > Military
- Books > History > Military Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Reference
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Special Topics > Military Engineering
- Books > Science & Math > Reference > Engineering
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Hiking & Camping > Instructional
- Books > Sports & Outdoors > Outdoor Recreation > Hiking & Camping > Instructional