Unearthing the Lost Words of Jesus: The Discovery and Text of the Lost Gospel of Thomas Hardcover – Oct 1 1998
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
In 1945, a group of camel drivers from the al-Samman clan unearthed an ancient earthenware jar while digging for much-needed fertilizer. Unwittingly, the drivers had discovered the greatest collection of early Christian documents ever found, the Nag Hammadi library. Among the ancient papyri was the Gospel of Thomas, a collection of over 100 sayings of Jesus purportedly gathered by Jesus' disciple Thomas (the doubting one). Dart, a religion writer for the Los Angeles Times, and Riegert (The Lost Gospel Q), narrate this story of discovery and offer an annotated translation of the Gospel of Thomas. Each saying is explained in terms of its historical and spiritual importance. For example, Jesus' tendency simultaneously to reveal and conceal his message and his identity is reflected, the contend, in the saying, "Recognize what is in front of your face and what is concealed will be revealed to you. For there is nothing that will not be disclosed." In this book, Thomas seems to present Jesus as a sage, the personification of wisdom, cast in the tradition of Solomon or Buddha, a humble man with a powerful message.
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Top Customer Reviews
One last thing, if you are a religious ( ) (I believe 1000% in the bible...) do not buy with this book, you wiil not understand it.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Remove my email address from your list... Jude Thibault.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Church History
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Reference > Archaeology
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Reference > Bible Study
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Reference > Biographies
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Bible
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Christology
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Worship & Devotion > Meditations
- Books > History > Africa > Egypt
- Books > History > Middle East > Egypt
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Archaeology
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions, Practices & Sacred Texts > Apocrypha
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History
- Books > Science & Math > Archaeology