- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Unencumbered by History: The Vietnam Experience in Young Adult Fiction Hardcover – Sep 17 1998
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Persuasive and carefully documented, the book does a particularly good job of demonstrating how the juvenile fictional world of Vietnam varies from historical reality....Anyone interested in the Vietnam War, American cultural memory, or contemporary juvenile fiction will find this book a thoughtful reading experience. (CHOICE)
A powerful, in-depth study. (Knowledge Quest)
...an important introduction to the era...clearly presented...recommended for established collections and library school students. (Professional Reviews)
Twenty-eight young adult novels addressing the Vietnam War, published between 1967 and 1997, are discussed in the context of the current culture war between conservatives and progressives to define American values and interpret American history. (Reference and Research Book News)
About the Author
Deobrah Wilson Overstreet is an Assistant Professor in the Curriculum and Instruction Department of the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. She has published articles in Statement, Signal, and The ALAN Review, and regularly reviews young adult fiction for Signal.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Literature & Fiction > Children's Literature Guides
- Books > Education & Reference > Schools & Teaching
- Books > Humour & Entertainment > Music
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Books & Reading > History of Books
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > 20th Century
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > History & Criticism