- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: Workman Publishing Company; 1st Edition edition (June 21 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0761159134
- ISBN-13: 978-0761159131
- Product Dimensions: 17.8 x 1.3 x 20.3 cm
- Shipping Weight: 458 g
- Average Customer Review: 16 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #102,223 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Unlikely Friendships: 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom Paperback – Jun 21 2011
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
— New York Times Book Review
“The feel-good book of the summer—maybe the year—may very well be Unlikely Friendships.”
— USA Today
“Jennifer Holland documents one heartwarming tale after another of animals who, with nothing else in common, bond in the most unexpected ways.”
— Reader's Digest
“With aww-inducing photographs, the book highlights the most improbable animal connections.”
— National Geographic
About the Author
Jennifer S. Holland is a contributing writer for National Geographic. She has also written for, among others, The Discovery Channel, NPR, and The New York Times, specializing in science and natural history.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Unlikely Friendships shares 47 amazing accounts of animals of different species who have formed bonds with one another. Granted, some of the animals pairing might not seem outlandish, like a rabbit and a guinea pig; however, a pit bull, cat and baby chicks or a leopard and a cow make for very uncommon friends. Some of the animals are cute and cuddly, some of them are large predators, some are basic domestic pets and others are traditionally found in the wild, yet all of these creatures have formed inspiring bonds with fellow members of the animal kingdom.
Regardless of how one defines a “friend” these creatures are proof that the desire to have a companion, the ability to show compassion and the ability to go beyond appearances, or any physical boundary for that matter, transcends logic. As is often the case, humans can learn a great deal from these compassionate companions – if we look with our hearts.
If the stories in this book don’t put a big grin on your face or give you a big bucket of “awww’s” then the lovely photos that go along with the stories will likely give even the most ‘hard-hearted’ a reason to smile.
Want to see more reviews on this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Nature & Wildlife
- Books > Crafts, Hobbies & Home > Animal Care & Pets
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Relationships
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Biological Sciences > Zoology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Biology
- Books > Science & Math > Biological Sciences > Zoology > Animal Behaviour & Communication
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Animals > Wildlife
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Ecology > Animals
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Fauna > Wildlife
- Books > Science & Math > Nature & Ecology > Reference