countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty Furniture Kindle sports Tools

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 30, 2017
One of my favorite books to read
on February 5, 2017
Makes you want to travel forever.
on September 18, 2003
This book is essentially about the thought process behind taking time off from your regular life to discover and experience the world on your own terms. If you've been around the world a few times, you'll find it puts many of your fuzzy warm thoughts and ideals into words. If you haven't, it'll probably make you wonder why you haven't taken off already.
People who like to plan and be prepared should treat this as a companion to more nuts-and-bolts guides. Others may find this plenty since travel is all an adventure anyway. It depends on your personality and comfort with the unknown. The rarely expressed aspect of Potts' book, however, is the acknowledgement that both work and travel are admirable and that one complements the other. To travel, you must also be productive sometimes. But to be productive, you also have to continually learn and see other points of view. Traveling abroad on more than a one-week vacation makes this possible. An entertaining and inspiring read.
Tim Leffel, author of THE WORLD'S CHEAPEST DESTINATIONS
on July 14, 2003
Rolf Potts' tome of vagabonding is an inspirational work rather than a practical guide. While the same practical information is contained in other books, this book shines in the area of travel philosophy. Travel is like a religion, where some people are incredibly fervent about it, while others just don't understand. This book makes you realize that long-term travel is not only possible, but desirable and worthwhile.
I particularly liked the section on working for travel. As a 9-to-5 worker planning a long-term trip, I needed the inspiration to keep going. I liked being told that working will actually make me appreciate travel more. After all, to afford travel, I have to be here anyway.
Throughout the book, there are great little excerpts from famous travellers, philosophers, and explorers, as well as anecdotes from ordinary travellers. Rolf has a particular liking for Walt Whitman, and I may just have to go pick up some Walt poetry now. The literary references in this book let you know that world travel and a simple life aren't new concepts.
The only problem I see with this book is that it may soon become dated with its references to specific websites.
The book is of a small and convenient size to take on the road.
on June 19, 2017
I couldn't find another product that with a better quality. Also, I like its price, cheap. I have to remember this store, if need, I will come back again. I am very happy with my purchase didn't know how much I would enjoy this good price also I highly recommend this store, very helpful, and they sell products are very trustworthy, I really like it, size is also very appropriate.
on April 16, 2003
As a former "vagabonder" who's now (quite unpleasantly) ensconced in the 9 to 5 world, I needed a book to inspire and redirect my thinking.
This is the first and only travel book that's done that for me.
Rolf is clearly one who understands the vagabonder mentality. That's proven by his cautions against excessive planning, reliance upon guidebooks (even Lonely Planet), and against depending upon your cataloged preconceptions of a travel destination. For the true vagabonder relies almost entirely on serendpity, not obsession. You unplug from the media, from email, from everything. And you rely on now, today.
I thought it both delightful and completely true that one should target a destination based solely upon the flimsiest of whims (e.g., learning to play ping-pong). Because once you arrive, all will be dashed and certainly enhanced simply be being there. This is both the truth and the "zen" of long-term, vagabond travel: once you get there everything will be different, and better, than you could have imagined.
Rolf buttresses his thinking with many quotes from those who have preceeded us in the "vagabonding" mentality. Thoreau, Whitman, etc. (But where is Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist. He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore if it be goodness"). In any case Rolf addresses in full measure the social "oddity" of vagabonding, including the fulfillment it brings. People will not understand us. So what?
That this is the genuine article is exposed when Rolf catches Lonely Planet founder Tony Wheeeler asserting that some people "go to hotels that aren't listed in Lonely Planet," which is truly the vagabonder - the traveler - mentality.
There are only a few paths for the true vagabonder, and none of those include guidebooks, group tours, "vacations", or possibly even sabbaticals. Vagabonding is a way of thinking, of living, of traveling, of interacting with the world on a global basis.
And as Rolf mentions, it is very, very addictive for those who are so inclined.
on January 27, 2003
This book is a great travel preparation book. I am a big fan of Rolfs Salon.com travel diaries, but this book is different. It wakes you up to the reality and shows you that you can see the world and experience life for cheap. You really just need motivation - and that's just what this book gives you. Because once you are out there - you'll wonder why you were so tranquilized by the common 9-5 life.
If you are thinking of traveling for an extended period, or know a friend who travels - this book is a great buy.
on November 6, 2003
Anyone who has ever thought about travelling, this book will make you go! Anyone who has ever been travelling, this book will make you want to go again and anyone who is travelling whilst reading this, this book will make you that bit more adventurous when ordering food in a cafe where a squat toilet is another eating area! It's definitely a case of, if he can do it then so can I!
Of course if your not a travelling type then the book will mean as much to you as a tin of baked beans to a kipper, but for those who yearn for life as one of the wandering nomads of this world, this book will seem like the travel bible in as much as it suggests a life less ordinary!
This book is about working to live and not living to work!
on August 20, 2006
This book offers those of us the information that we need to trek the earth. The tips and small bits of info that Potts offers up are amazing and applicable if you are a serious traveller. Not someone who takes holidays but someone who takes months off to explore.
on January 8, 2003
Zorba said it best, "Life is trouble, only death is not. To be alive you've got to undo your belt and look for trouble". When I've undone my belt and followed my heart without fear ... no, without letting my fear dictate and control my journey ... I've always found adventure worth remembering, friends worth keeping and returned with no regrets.
VAGABONDING is a small, practical and useful guide for the art of "looking for trouble" and living without regrets. Potts writes intelligently from his heart and experience. His book provides useful information, wonderful access to resources (especially internet resources) and reason to examine the choices we make, especially those we use to remain in our comfortable and often dull status quo.
My journey has been most fulfilling when I've undone my belt and stepped away from the perceived safety of my status quo. VAGABONDING (whether to distant corners of our sweet earth or the the neighborhood mall for convenient purchases) provides both advice on traveling well and reasons to travel adventurously.
This book is a keeper. It will fit lightly in my day pack wherever I choose to journey.