- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary Paperback – Large Print, Sep 26 2000
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Inside Flap
First time in book form! A successful program for teaching 3,500 vocabulary words that successful people need to know, based on America's #1 bestselling audio vocabulary series.
""People judge you by the words you use." Millions of Americans know this phrase from radio and print advertising for the Verbal Advantage audio series, which has sold over 100,000 copies. Now this bestselling information is available for the first time in book form, in an easy-to-follow, graduated vocabulary building program that teaches an outstanding vocabulary in just ten steps.
Unlike other vocabulary books, Verbal Advantage provides a complete learning experience, with clear explanations of meanings, word histories, usages, pronunciation, and more. Far more than a cram session for a standardized test, the book is designed as a lifetime vocabulary builder, teaching a vocabulary shared by only the top percentage of Americans, with a proven method that helps the knowledge last.
A 10-step vocabulary program teaches 500 key words and 3,000 synonyms.
Lively, accessible writing from an expert author and radio personality.
About the Author
Charles Elster is the author of several books on language, and is the writer and host of the weekly public radio program "A Word to the Wise." His commercials have been featured on NPR's "Morning Edition".
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
In short, I'm writing this review while I am purchasing my 2nd copy of the book...as my girlfriend is constantly "stealing" this book from me to read.
This book has several excellent points.
1. The author divides his vocabulary building "program" into 10 different levels, and lets the user progress from easier words to much more esoteric words at the very last levels (anyone know the meanings for what "tergiversation", "crepuscular", "hieratic", "fugacious", "or "glabrous"?).
2. Each word is clearly defined, and the author provides a plethora of synonyms (and relevant antonyms) and explains the nuances among the different synonyms.
3. The author provides highly amusing side notes on various words, especially related to the "beastly" mispronunciations and wrong use of certain words.
4. Each level has around 50 words, and they are broken down into sections of 10 words each. This makes it convenient for those who do not have alot of time, as you can read a section at a time.
All in all, I'm halfway through the book, and I can't wait to get through it...not just because I learned some new words in this book, but because this book has provoked me into buying a new Merriam-Webster dictionary and reading all types of materials that I once eschewed because they were not within the domain of what I already knew!
The words are carefully chosen and precisely defined. The author has superb diction, and he really makes a sincere attempt to impart some of that knowledge to the reader. I have bought many vocabulary books and have been disappointed many times. Most vocabulary books list too many arcane words, do little to help the reader with pronunciation, and often rely on absurdly contrived examples to help the reader with usage. Verbal Advantage stresses proper pronunciation and gives realistic examples of the words used in context.
Kudos to Mr. Elster.
- When reading an article, I find myself seeking for new word full of anticipation.
- Whenever coming across a new word, I immediately look for a hint for the root of the word.
(It may be difficult for someone with a knowledge of vocabulary less than 1100 words level, though!)
Most recent customer reviews
Wow. After this, I am lost thinking there is nothing after this one. All others do not even come close, it is worth every penny. you will not regret buying this one.Published on Dec 4 2013 by dove
A previous review, Xavier, was about to buy the $300 CDs, but bought the $15 book instead. Xavier may have saved $285, but a book, even with similar text, is not as effective as... Read morePublished on April 28 2004
This book is fantastic. If you are really serious about improving your vocabulary use the book in conjuction with the tapes and you will be amazed how much your vocabulary grows!Published on Oct. 21 2003 by Jim S.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Alphabet
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Usage
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Vocabulary
- Books > Education & Reference > Writing, Research & Publishing Guides > Writing