- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Victorian Fiction and the Cult of the Horse Hardcover – Nov 28 2006
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'... impressive work... Dorre combines a wealth of cultural-historical material with innovative readings of nineteenth-century texts... make[s] significant contributions to our understanding of the place of the animal in Victorian literature and culture.' Journal of Victorian Culture '... this is a thought-provoking and worthwhile book, alerting us especially to the vitality and complexity of Victorian fiction, and its exuberant use of metaphor as a descriptive, structural and socially-critical device. What Dorre analyzes as the 'displacement' of gender and class anxieties onto the body of the horse, produces a rich and complex symbolic language that she has in part decoded for us.' Anthrozoos
About the Author
Gina M. Dorré is a Lecturer in the English Department at the University of Nevada, Reno, where whe teaches writing and literature.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > African
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Criticism & Theory
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods > Victorian
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature > World Literature > African & Middle Eastern