Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

Visual Basic 6 For Dummies
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 10, 2017
Bought for a gift.
on October 22, 2002
When I was trying to make the upgrade from Visual Basic 4.0 to Visual Basic 6.0, this was the first book that I bought. This book is very easy to read and there are ample examples to illustrate each principle that the author is trying to teach you. I combined this books with the 4 "Learn to Program Visual Basic" books by John Smiley to give me a solid foundation in Visual Basic 6.0. The cartoons in this book will reduce down the stress of trying to learn something new.
Now that I am moving into .Net technology, I really appreciate how good this book was for people who have little or no experience with Visual Basic. This should be your first Visual Basic 6 book. By the way, Visual Basic 6 and the legacy source code that goes with it will be around for years to come.
on January 14, 2002
I own the VB 6 version of this book. I thought that overall it was great; the book offers excellent examples, esp. with the CD enclosed, it's kind of funny, in a corny sort of way, and it does a good job of explaining things in easy-to-understand english. This book is divided into two sections; the first explains how to make interfaces, and the second explains how to write the code that make the interfaces work.
Unfortunately, at the end of the first section, the author gradually slides into using a lot of BASIC code. Granted, BASIC is the only way to make some of the user interfaces, and he uses good examples. However, the author seems to have forgotten an important detail, that almost by default, the reader does not have much previous experience in BASIC. Thus, it can make things somewhat confusing when attempting to understand the construction of the menus AND deciphering the code.
In many examples later on, the author simply says something like, "In order to make so-and-so type of box, you'll need to use this..." and follows the screenshot up with several or more lines of code, without really explaining what any of the code does. Except for this apparent lapse in logical order, the book is otherwise great. Chapter 14 begins with "the basics of code", which is odd, since a lot of code had already been covered in Chapter 13.
on July 7, 2000
This book is very good if you have -ZERO- experience with programming in Visual Basic. Keep one thing in mind, though - Do not think that this book alone will get you where you need to be to be able to program effectively. This book does a great job of introducing the program, but it lacks the ability to get you up and running like many other books I purchased for just that reason.
This book will get you to the point where you can understand some of the "drier" materials out there. You will understand what Visual Basic is all about, but I personally don't believe it can get you on your feet right away.
Examples are good, but impractical. As with any book, I would not advise trying to copy the code verbatim. Rather, gain an understanding of what the code is supposed to do and follow the example to get to where you want to be.
I would recommend this book if you are sitting on the fence trying to decide if you might be able to program in Visual Basic. I did just that. I was unsure if I would be able to do this since I only programmed in BASIC as a kid and PASCAL for one semester in High School. After reading this, I realized that it might be okay. Then, I bought other books and because of this one, the others made sense.
I hope you found this helpful.
on April 11, 2000
Visual Basic for dummies is more suited for revision of VB Basics. This was the first VB Book I bought and frankly, I could not make much out of it. The book did not show us how to apply the concepts to real world applications and as a result, I bought a Step by Step VB Book from Microsoft and this book was much better. However, I stopped programming in VB for some time and I needed to refresh the basics before going on to more advanced topics. This is where I recommend Visual Basic for dummies. Its short code and explanations effectively refreshes my mind. I will recommend this book for people who have mastered the basics and just want to revise the basics of VB again. For true novices, I recommend getting VB Step by Step from Microsoft Press.
on October 12, 2000
If you know nothing about VB and are an absolute beginner, then I highly recommend this as your first book on the subject. Yes, it is extremely basic in terms of how much it exposes you to VB as a whole, but that's what it is intended for. And it was an easy read. At then end, you will be able to write simple programs (i.e. mortgage calculator, etc...). I used this book to get past the intimidation of learning a programming language, then I moved on. Because I am a DBA, my next purchase was the VB6 database programming for Dummies (which was a perfect continuation because this book ends on a discussion on databases). I then purchased an advanced book to help me with my MCSD which I am currently pursuing. BTW, I found the VB help to be extremely helpful as well with lots of sample code. There are also TONS of reference materials and tutorials (an example is johnsmiley.com) available on the internet. I gave this book 4 stars because.....well...just because nobody's perfect (sorry Wally).
Good Luck!
|0Comment|Report abuse
If the lousy jokes were replaced with theory and explanations, this book would have been great! The book fails to explain more difficult topics in a good matter. The chapters describing Classes and Databases should have been left out or rewritten. Actually, these topics are not very difficult, but the reader makes them difficult by comparing it to dishwashers and cars, and by telling dreadfully bad jokes. Jokes are OK, but I rather read 200 pages of good explanations than 400 pages where 200 of them are rubbish.
on October 7, 2002
This book is the showcase for learning Visual Basic. Comes with Blow to Blow action to give the reader a better understanding to writing code.The topics are designed to give you a heads up view, and have fun learning about Visual Basic. After reading this book, I'm convinced it's ranked in the top 5 for learning this subject.The author relays great tips for starting out, and sets the stage for more advanced topics in other books to "leap frog" your way into developing your own applications.
on May 31, 2001
For any beginner, this book is great. If you have no clue what BASIC is and don't know the difference between a module and a procedure, this book is great.
Although this probably won't get you at the expert level, it is a great beginning for anyone. It is much simpler than Microsoft's documentation and will definitely get you off on the right foot if you want something easy to start you off.
on April 7, 1999
I decided to learn VB on my own, a lot of people have, and so I took a book home from the library and started reading. I was asleep 3 minutes later. But since I had a genuine desire to learn the program I bought VB for Dummies and to my surprise the book is just fantastic. I've become a fan of the ...For Dummies books just because of this book. If you are serious about learning Visual Basic, then there is no better place to start.