- Student Exclusive: Amazon Prime Student members save 10% on all textbook purchases. Enter code 10TEXT at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Visual Complex Analysis Paperback – Jan 1 1999
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
`...one very fine recent example of mathematical graphics at a high level is Needham's Visual Complex Analysis.'
Notices of the AMS
From the Publisher
numerous line drawingsSee all Product description
Top customer reviews
This is a book that any math afficionado must have, and will undoubtedly savor. I frankly don't understand those reviewers who have given this book fewer than five stars. In fact, five stars wouldn't seem to be enough here. This book is among the best math books one will ever find! What else would one want from a such book? It is exciting, friendly, creative, often funny, crystal clear, fresh, deep, and unfailingly courteous to the reader--a quality not always found in math texts.
Additionally, this book succeeds on another level -- it is just plain beautiful. Math, to be great, must be beautiful, while books about great math too often are not. This book is truly beautiful, even artful. The author has taken great care to create beauty here.
I intially bought this book, because as an ex-mathematician whose analysis skills were getting rusty I wanted to revisit complex analysis. This book certainly succeeded in brushing up those old skills, but it also deepened them. The book has marvelous insights and geometric drawings that demonstrate in a clever way the links between complex analysis and other branches of math and physics. How could one not love the lovely and intricate drawings that depict, say, loxodromic transformations on a sphere, or the eye-popping diagrams of rotations in hyperbolic space? They're fabulous! Even the problem sets are delightful.
As a side note, some of the historical glosses about mathematicians are also very lively, and are another source of pleasure here.
On the dust jacket is the blurb--"If you must buy only one math book this year, this is the one to buy." I have to agree. I bought a couple dozen math books last year, and this one outshines the rest. I can't recommend it highly enough, even if you already feel comfortable with complex analysis.
I encourage my fellow readers to pick this up, and see how beautiful a math book can be.
I agree that the book does have merits. It takes the field of complex variables and looks at it in another way. I do feel though, that a more traditional book would be better to first secure undersatanding of the material. If a student were to continue to graduate work or want to learn more about complex variables, this would be a good supplement. I do not feel though, that this book is a good main, first text.
Want to see more reviews on this item?
Most recent customer reviews
the subject is very clearly explained in a very educational manner.Read more
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Science
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Aerospace > Advanced Mechanics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Civil > Mechanics
- Books > Professional & Technical > Engineering > Mechanical
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Applied
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Mathematics > Mathematical Analysis
- Books > Professional & Technical > Professional Science > Physics
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Applied
- Books > Science & Math > Mathematics > Mathematical Analysis
- Books > Science & Math > Physics
- Books > Textbooks > Engineering > Mechanical Engineering
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Mathematics
- Books > Textbooks > Sciences > Physics