Wage-earning Women: Industrial Work And Family Life in the United States, 1900-1930 Hardcover – Sep 20 1979
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"[A] beautifully written study....[It] offers a truly fresh perspective on women's past work experience while at the same time raising important new questions about the interpretation of present trends."--Social Science Journal
"A vivid picture of the close relationship between family and job. [Wage-Earning Women] offers a compelling description of carefully regulated lives, seeking joy in small doses and then withdrawing to re-create a new cycle of family life."--Journal of American History
"Tentler achieves a remarkable understanding of the working woman....Much of the effectiveness of this book's argument lies in the skill with which the author moves from the workplace to the home in locating the mutual reinforcing influences of each."--Labor History --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
From the Back Cover
With the first generations of wage-earning women, precedents were established that still operate in today's workforce. An understanding of the early decades of this century is thus essential for women's studies, labor history, and sociology. Writing with a keen eye for detail as well as a real empathy with these women, Leslie Tentler reconstructs the day-to-day realities of life on the job, in the home and in the industrial neighborhoods of major cities. In doing so, she explores the myth that jobs outside the home for this generation led to women's emancipation. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Economics > Labour & Industrial Relations
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > Industrial Relations
- Books > Education & Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Linguistics
- Books > Medical Books > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Gastroenterology
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Labour & Industrial Relations
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Reference
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Applied
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Political Science > Levels of Government
- Books > Professional & Technical > Accounting & Finance > Economics > Labour & Industrial Relations
- Books > Science & Math > Medicine > Internal Medicine > Gastroenterology
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Linguistics
- Books > Textbooks > Medicine > Medicine > Clinical > Gastroenterology
- Books > Textbooks > Social Sciences > Political Science