Web Caching Paperback – Jul 7 2001
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Web Caching explores the intricacies of implementing caching in Web server environments to reduce network traffic and improve performance. Like so many areas of Internet technology, the topic of Web caching comprises a number of architectural and practical issues that could take a career to learn the hard way. Fortunately, author Duane Wessels has organised all the nuts-and-bolts technical information in this short book.
This guide to turbo-charging the Web is primarily geared toward system administrators; however, Web developers can also learn much about the proper--and improper--use of caching their pages. The book begins with excellent chapters on the big picture of how Web caching works, including the various types of caches, hit measurements, validation, and cache refreshing. Before turning to this guide's core focus--designing and implementing caching--the author spends a chapter to explore the political issues surrounding the technology such as privacy, content distribution and copyrights.
Both client and server configurations are considered and the benefits of Netscape and Microsoft implementations are explored. The journey through the efficient travels of Web requests is fascinating as you learn about proxies, intercache protocols, cache hierarchies and benchmarking methodologies for measuring the efficiency of your solutions. Dishing up requests elegantly is a nontrivial task on today's Web, but this no-nonsense book is a great help toward that goal. --Stephen W Plain
'It provides a good general introduction to caching solution. If all web sites follwed the suggestions on cache-friendliness then the web could be a much faster and more efficient place.' - Andrew Cormack, new@UK, December 2001See all Product Description
Top Customer Reviews
After reading Web Caching, I soon learned that there was more to the topic than meets the eye. The chapter on politics of caching makes for interesting reading no matter who you are on the web; covering topics such as copyright, privacy and trust, offensive content and maintaining content integrity.
I also learned more about just how important caching is to the web, which convinced me that I really should make my web pages as cache friendly as possible. Not only does the creation of cache friendly pages speed up the delivery of content, but it can also reduce the cost of hosting individual web sites!
As you can imagine, there is a lot of discussion in the book about the communications between server and browser that many of us do not see. Most of this discussion focuses on the use of HTTP headers, but there is little discussion about using various scripting technologies to over-ride the default headers that are used by the server. Even an Appendix chapter to compliment the Perl example given would have been nice, as not everyone has access to their server's settings or knows how to use their language of choice to generate server headers.
All in all Web Caching is an interesting book to read as it certainly makes you think about the issues surrounding the subject. I can't help feeling however that this book was written mainly for the server administrators, as practical examples for those that have no direct control of the server are somewhat lacking...
Most recent customer reviews
If you are looking for a configuration for the Squid Proxy Server, this is not the book for you; if you are looking for an insightful examination of the concepts, configurations... Read morePublished on Dec 29 2001 by spierzchala
In my opinion, this book's intended audience is for either a network/web administrator, or it's for a technical support engineer who supports networks or web sites.
. Read more
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Computer Science
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Privacy
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media > Web Browsers
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Web Browsers
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Internet, Groupware, & Telecommunications
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Administration > Storage & Retrieval
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Security
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Algorithms > Memory Management
- Books > Computers & Technology > Security & Encryption > Privacy & Online Safety
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Services
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Networking
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages