- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Web Site Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for Building and Administering Your Web Site Paperback – Feb 20 2006
|New from||Used from|
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Designing, Maintaining, and Marketing
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
Web Site Cookbook is set up from simple to more complex concepts so that the reader need not have any previous experience creating a website in order to comprehend and make use of these instructions. Furthermore, the quick and easy access of the problem-solution format of the entries will be particularly helpful to web designers looking for particular solutions, wanting to upgrade their skills, or just wanting to learn a few new techniques to improve their site.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The book is written for those who make a living by designing, developing, maintaining, and marketing Web sites for themselves or other people. The exclusive focus is on the familiar world of LAMP -- Linux/Unix with Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
The author shares lots of handy code snippets (mostly PHP) to deal with technical issues but he does not neglect the soft skills, such as approaching the information architecture of a proposed site -- and marketing the finished one.
Addison goes into as much depth as is necessary to solve a problem and resists the temptation to go further. He clearly keeps up with best practices. I was impressed that his advice for a printer-friendly site is to use print media CSS. Most sites, even new ones, use more expensive and labor-intensive methods, like adding middle-layer software or creating separate content versions.
Quibble: the book does not mention, nor do the publisher's or author's sites offer any way to download the code snippets and the lists of related links. That is very odd for a book of this nature and I hope the author corrects the oversight for readers soon.
This is a grab bag book, so you will want to check the table of cotents out before buying to make sure you will get enough material for your dollar. What is in the book is covered well.
Each topic (recipe) is broken down into 4 sections:
1. Problem: A one or two sentence description of what you need or want to do.
2. Solution: A step by step solution.
3. Discussion: A discussion of the applied solution.
4. See Also: Additional information from other "recipes" in the book and/or outside resources.
There are also sections on planning your site, organizing directories, creating color schemes, as well as tips on making URL's easy to find and remember. (just to name a few). This book will get you well on your way to putting together a well designed web site. Highly recommended.
Addison has put together a fine collection of practical, useful and downright helpful info for those charged with managing all aspects of a site. For Web denizens who've been at this for a while, you're still likely to find new material that can be readily applied to existing sites (say, the addition or favicons, or new PHP tools). For others, newer to Web site management, there are hosts of items that should save time in overall execution (i.e. flow charting processes, protecting images files/directories, naming conventions, etc.) by getting it right the first time.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business & Investing > Industries & Professions > E-commerce > Internet Marketing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Graphic Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > History & Culture > Web Marketing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > XML
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Services
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Marketing & Sales > Marketing > Web Marketing
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages