- Hardcover: 320 pages
- Publisher: Collins (April 18 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9781443432436
- ISBN-13: 978-1443432436
- ASIN: 1443432431
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 2.7 x 22.9 cm
- Shipping Weight: 481 g
- Average Customer Review: 9 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #9,659 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
When You Find Out the World is Against You: And Other Funny Memories About Awful Moments Hardcover – Apr 18 2017
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“Funny, sharp and unique.” (Globe and Mail)
“The essays in When You Find Out the World is Against You pack a straight-up emotional punch.” (Chatelaine)
“[Oxford’s] 12 essays—about growing up, marriage and parenting, etc. etc.—are clever and unfailingly amusing. The girl can turn a phrase.” (The Star)
“Two things I’m grateful for: how imperfect Kelly Oxford is at life and decision-making, and how terrific she is at writing about what a goddamn mess she is.” (Patton Oswalt)
“Oxford’s new book, When You Find Out the World is Against You, is an extension of her social media brand (clever, insightful, self-deprecating). . . . She once again bares it all in a series of nostalgia-inducing personal essays, some LOL funny. . .and others poignant.” (Fashion)
“While both books rest on the sarcastic character developed over social media, When You Find Out the World is Against You finds [Oxford] experimenting with sincere introspection.” (The Walrus)
“Oxford has a gift for snarky one-liners and self-effacing humor.” (Kirkus Reviews)
““Kelly is part geek, part freak. When You Find Out the World Is Against You shows us ourselves: our sensitivities, our awkward moments, our strange desires. She takes us through summer camp, dating, rape culture, Trump, death. . . . Kelly Oxford c’est moi.” (James Franco)
“When You Find Out the World is Against You is Kelly at her honest and most disarmingly funny best. Filled with biting, wise, and laugh-out-loud insights, this vastly entertaining collection of vignettes will make you think as much as it will make you laugh.” (49th Shelf)
“Kelly Oxford is a beautiful writer. She finds beauty in the mundane and humor in everyday eccentricities. She is our present-day, funny Joan Didion.” (Gia Coppola)
From the Back Cover
Things That Can Make You Feel Really Crappy (an abbreviated list):
- When your mother tells you you’re going to camp, but then abandons you at a sketchy daycare, in the path of an oncoming tornado.
- When you finally get to go to real camp one summer and hope it will make you a twelve-year-old “kissing bandit” but instead your eyebrows get pulled off in an unfortunate plaster mask accident.
- When you realize that the pain in your armpits is just anxiety.
- When you realize anxiety is far more crippling than pain in your armpits.
- When you realize your kids are old enough to render
you obsolete—except when in need of new phones and/or jeans.
- When your need to be needed makes you desire a poodle, and then poodle vigilantes totally attack you on the Internet for innocently proclaiming your love.
- When you discover that the would-be leader of the country you now call home has said terrible things about women, on tape for the world to hear.
Things that Can Make You Feel a Bit Better:
- Creating the hashtag #NotOkay, where millions of women came together to share their stories of sexual assault and fight back, and feel slightly less ashamed and alone.
- Laughing at yourself. Laughing with other people.
- Kelly Oxford is known as one of the Funniest People on the Internet (Rolling Stone) and a Social Media Powerhouse (NYT). When You Find Out the World Is Against You is a collection of stories drawn from all periods and aspects of Kelly’s life—her coming-of-age in Canada, her approach to marriage and motherhood, and what happens when you uproot your entire life to Los Angeles, a place as far in culture and climate from Canada as it gets.
- While still full of the razor-sharp observations on modern life that made her first book, Everything Is Perfect When You’re a Liar, a New York Times bestseller and the laugh-out-loud situations that only Kelly Oxford could find herself in, When You Find Out the World Is Against You shows a writer and a woman tackling the harder, deeper, more important stuff of life too.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Showing 1-8 of 9 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Want to see more reviews on this item?