White Blood Cells
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Previously Enjoyed & Fully Guaranteed
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Also, any band capable of dividing their (quite large) audience so severely between love and hate is obviously doing something right. No matter which side of the line you're on, you've heard The White Stripes and can't help but have an opinion on them.
I think track 5 (expecting) is most self indulgent as they go deep into their riffy, abstract metal, but its still a good one. My favs are:
1. dead leaves... great intro riff and chorus, the lyrics as always totally click with me, hard and good.
3. Gentelmen... incorporates an organ/piano for a classic hook, their minimal style lends to great builds ups n climax, its done here to perfection.
4. Fell in love with a girl... uve probably heard it, its good , loud and fast, not my fav.
the middle lulls a bit to me .. although 5 as mentioned before is good. little room is an interestin exscursion/filler.
9. we are going to be friends... 2nd song i ever heard of theirs. very folky and light, same riff over and over but jacks lyrics more than make up for it as usual. i like it.
13. i cant wait.. the song is good, a good example of jane's hypnotic drums. At one point when you think the lyrics are going to continue they are dropped and jack picks up on them with his guitar, one of my favorite effects. and Jack always does it superbly, especially here, i think it saves the song.
16. this protector... putting this track at the end rather than in the middle somewhere transforms it from a good filler to an almost awe inspiring 30 seconds for me... after he goes through the first lyrics, and then a short buildup to
" 300 people living out in west virginia,
have no idea about these thoughts that are within ya
... nobodies around... lookin at the door.. comin through the floor."
i dunno its just clicks with me and stands at as one of the all time concluding tracks for me.. it sums it all up so well...
The opener, "Dead Leaves and Dirty Ground" has the same tasty plodding hard rock guitar riffs that characterized the eponymous record (1999), a style which occupies much of this record ("Expecting", "Offend in Every Way", "Aluminum", "I Can't Wait"), although Jack White has come a long way in terms of writing lyrics.
The second tune, "Hotel Yorba", is country blues in the finest tradition, not unlike the tunes that dominated their second record, 'De Stijl' (2000) or retro-experiments of the Rolling Stones' 'Exile on Main St.' (1972). The same can be said of the lovely acoustic ballad, "We're Going to Be Friends" (the sequel to "Sister, Do You Know My Name"?).
The highpoints appear when Jack and Meg White distill their influences into products of their own voice, such as "I'm Finding It Harder to Be a Gentleman", with it's hard rock/piano riff you just can't get out of your head. On that note, I would be remiss if I did not mention their biggest single, the sparse and manic "I Fell in Love with a Girl" (if you haven't THIS one, you must be living under a rock). Finally, of note is the juxtaposition of the two centerpieces of the record - the first being the most minimalist song of this "minimalist" band, "Little Room", which is probably the best summation of Kurt Cobain's career that has ever been done - all in 50 seconds. The theme of selling out is carried on in "The Union Forever", with a guitar/organ riff ripped from the same gothic page as the bass line in "Seven Nation Army".
The bottom line is that if you liked the Grammy-winning 'Elephant' (2001), then 'White Blood Cells' is a must.
Most recent customer reviews
possibly the best white stripes album...hard to say, because they're all good. Except that one you don't like...but that's all subjective.Published 5 months ago by Chris Lojzer
This album is AMAZING. Actually all of their albums are amazing. Also the red vinyl makes it even better! Over all, definitely 5 stars!Published on July 12 2013 by Kevin
i knew the big hits from the whitw stripes,that`s all.but but behind these song have a beautifull lyrics and music in the other one.Published on April 24 2013 by michelle laliberte
This is getting ridiculous. There is very little reason to pre-order through amazon. 99% of the time as soon as the release date comes, it turns out they don't have it. Read morePublished on Dec 14 2010 by me
By far the BEST White Stripes cd made. Clever lyrics, great musicianship, Jack and Meg are in top form. Read morePublished on Nov. 17 2006 by Nandu&You
OK..I first bought the Elephant istead of byuing White Blood Cells Thank GOD! The Elephent is much fresheer and just better! Read morePublished on June 30 2004
The White Stripes did get some attention for this album, but not nearly as much as their 4th album, Elephant did. Read morePublished on June 6 2004
i grew up listenin to classic rock. until i was about 12 i had only heard a couple of newer songs. im more into newer music now but i wanted something that was newer but w/ the... Read morePublished on May 1 2004