- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Woman Behind the Lens: The Life and Work of Frances Benjamin Johnston, 1864 1952 Hardcover – Jul 29 2000
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
For The Woman behind the Lens, Berch has had to ferret out the nature of Johnston's relationship with Mattie Edwards Hewitt.... Interpreting their letters' sentiments, the biographer writes, 'is hardly straightforward. Some scholars advise us to understand all the romantic outpourings between nineteenth-century women as expressions of female friendship, rather than sexual passion. Others are more inclined to see such writings as a clue to a greater, if submerged, lesbian subculture.
However one judges Berch's view of the Johnston-Hewitt affair, it is clear that the new book will help brighten the overall spotlight on a photographer remarkable for what an earlier biography called 'a talent for detail.'.--Brendan Lemon, OUT Magazine
About the Author
Bettina Berch, author of Radical by Design: The Life and Style of Elizabeth Hawes, is a freelance writer living in New York City.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Photography & Video > Collections, Catalogues & Exhibitions
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Artists, Architects & Photographers
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Specific Groups > Women
- Books > Humour & Entertainment
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Women's Studies