WordPress For Dummies Paperback – Aug 3 2015
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
- Set up your WordPress.org account
- Choose a web host
- Use WordPress as a CMS
- Manage multiple sites
For blogging and more, WordPress has the tools. Here's how to make the most of them!
WordPress was born for blogging, but today it also powers one of every five websites. Harness the power of this versatile beast with help from this book! From the basics of installing and setting up WordPress software to adding media files, activating plugins, hosting a network of websites on your domain, and sidestepping pitfalls, it's all here.
- WordPress 101 discover how WordPress works, set it up, choose a platform, explore the capabilities of WordPress.org, and check out the newest features
- Getting down to business choose and register your domain name, get hosting help, set up FTP, and learn to use the WordPress Dashboard
- Setting up your site establish categories, manage permalinks, compose posts, handle comments, and banish spam
- Flexing your WordPress muscles explore media management tools and choose plugins that extend WordPress capabilities
- Content management, WordPress style create a website with custom templates, enable the WordPress network feature, migrate an existing site to WordPress, and manage multiple sites
- Get noticed learn to optimize your websites and blogs to attract search engines
Open the book and find:
- Tips for setting up the WordPress Dashboard
- How to install WordPress and set up the MySQL database
- Tips on managing blog spam
- Help configuring settings
- WordPress RSS options
- How to choose, download, and install plugins
- Advice on customizing themes
- Steps for importing a blog from another platform
About the Author
Lisa Sabin-Wilson is co-owner of WebDevStudios, a development company that specializes in custom WordPress plugins, themes, and deployments. A popular conference speaker, Lisa is the author of previous editions of WordPress For Dummies as well as WordPress Web Design For Dummies.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book may be a "Dummies" titled book but to be able to follow along, this book requires the reader to already be familiar with various internet technologies, terminology, and common practices. I would not recommend this book to those that do not consider themselves at least a bit of a "techie". This book would be great for the more tech savvy and also those that are looking to refresh their knowledge of Wordpress or to fill in some gaps in understanding. Overall the book usually does a good job at explaining topics and the steps involved but there are some instances where it's a bit confusing and doesn't get cleared up satisfactorily. It would probably be best to use this book as a resource along with others including searching on the internet for more specific or unclear points.
I received this product for free in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.
WordPress for Dummies is a great reference guide in managing and maintaining your WordPress website. This book provides a detailed run-through in helping with your self installed/hosted version of WordPress website You will learn to set up your WordPress.org account, choose a host and much more. It was interesting learning about the different versions of WordPress...hosting, self-hosting. With WordPress for Dummies you will learn to create a blog to suit your needs, from installing and setting it up, to adding files and plug-ins to customize it. All in all, I am pleased with all the tips this book provided and the visuals that made it easier to understand.
I do feel that I, personally, will need to read this book again and definitely use it as a reference tool but it did give me the knowledge to begin confidently. I highly recommend this book as a great guide to WordPress.
I received this book free for my honest and unbiased review. All opinions are my own based on my own personal experience.
This version is geared 100% for users who plan to host their own WordPress blog/website on their own server, or on a server provided by a web-hosting company, using software from WordPress.ORG. This book is not for casual users like me, who are using the software at WordPress.COM, kept on WordPress's own servers.
The difference is huge. All the instructions in this book are geared toward the self-hosting version of the software. That means, for example, the directions for using the dashboard aren't applicable; they make no sense.
Since buying the book, I've re-read the description on Amazon's website. If I'd read it very, very, VERY closely, I would have realized this was not the book for me.
I highly recommend this book.
I was provided this book for free in return for my honest opinion.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media > Blogging & Blogs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software > Introductory Guides
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Design
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Services
- Books > For Dummies Store
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems