It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership Hardcover – May 22 2012
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
A Note from Colin Powell on It Worked for Me
I love stories. In the course of my career I gathered a number of them that mean a lot to me. Most come from my military life. I was in the military from age seventeen as an ROTC cadet until I was a retired GI at age fifty-six. Others came from my service as Secretary of State and as National Security Advisor. Yet others came to me as I wandered through life. In this book I want to share with you a selection of these stories as well as experiences that have stayed with me over the years. Each one of them taught me something important about life and leadership. Some of the stories deal with serious aspects of my life, including some of the controversial issues I was involved in during my tenure as Secretary of State. There are also humorous stories from my life as well. I offer them to you for whatever use you may wish to make of them.
The first part of It Worked for Me explains my Thirteen Rules, which have been bouncing around since they were first published in Magazine over twenty years ago. These are rules that I have gathered over the years and to which I’ve adhered in my career.
CLP's Thirteen Rules:
- It ain't as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.
- Get mad, then get over it.
- Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
- It can be done!
- Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
- Don't let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
- You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours.
- Check small things.
- Share credit.
- Remain calm. Be kind.
- Have a vision. Be demanding.
- Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
- Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
The rest of the book focuses on everything from the importance of really knowing who you are and how to always be yourself to why I put an emphasis on knowing and taking care of others, especially those who are your followers. I go into my experience in the exploding digital realm that has reshaped the world and our lives. I talk about how to be a great manager and a great leader. I give no conclusions or recommendations, just my observations. The chapters are free-standing. You can read them straight through or jump in anywhere. Everyone has life lessons and stories. These are mine. All I can say is that they worked for me. --Colin Powell
“An entertaining read from a charming, accomplished man. . . . A delightful book.” (The Washington Times)See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I was eager to read it for myself but now having found it even better than I'd hoped it would be have already purchased many additional copies to give as gifts. This is THE perfect gift for graduations, Father's Day, and even 'just because'.
There are a few strange moments such as a painfully forced, four page train metaphor on retirement and a few pages on his ideal hotel room that seem hastily inserted to meet a page requirement. The chapter on his 2003 UN-Iraq presentation has sparked a lot of nasty 1-star reviews even though Powell admits the mistakes and fairly discusses how they came about. This is not an Iraq war memoir, so basing an entire review on one episode detracts from the overwhelmingly positive nature of this book. 3-1/2 stars and a worthwhile read.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Ethnic & National > African-American & Black
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Military
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Political
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Professionals & Academics > Military & Spies
- Books > Business & Investing > Job Hunting & Careers
- Books > Business & Investing > Management & Leadership > Leadership
- Books > History > Military > Biographies
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics > Leadership
- Books > Professional & Technical > Business Management > Management & Leadership > Leadership