- Paperback: 342 pages
- Publisher: Broadway Books; Reprint edition (Oct. 16 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0307346617
- ISBN-13: 978-0307346612
- Product Dimensions: 13.3 x 2.3 x 20.3 cm
- Shipping Weight: 340 g
- Average Customer Review: 113 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #16,980 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War Paperback – Oct 16 2007
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From Publishers Weekly
Brooks, the author of the determinedly straight-faced parody The Zombie Survival Guide (2003), returns in all seriousness to the zombie theme for his second outing, a future history in the style of Theodore Judson's Fitzpatrick's War. Brooks tells the story of the world's desperate battle against the zombie threat with a series of first-person accounts "as told to the author" by various characters around the world. A Chinese doctor encounters one of the earliest zombie cases at a time when the Chinese government is ruthlessly suppressing any information about the outbreak that will soon spread across the globe. The tale then follows the outbreak via testimony of smugglers, intelligence officials, military personnel and many others who struggle to defeat the zombie menace. Despite its implausible premise and choppy delivery, the novel is surprisingly hard to put down. The subtle, and not so subtle, jabs at various contemporary politicians and policies are an added bonus. (Sept.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
"The Crisis" nearly wiped out humanity. Brooks (son of Mel Brooks and author of The Zombie Survival Guide, 2003) has taken it upon himself to document the "first hand" experiences and testimonies of those lucky to survive 10 years after the fictitious zombie war. Like a horror fan's version of Studs Terkel's The Good War (1984), the "historical account" format gives Brooks room to explore the zombie plague from numerous different views and characters. In a deadpan voice, Brooks exhaustively details zombie incidents from isolated attacks to full-scale military combat: "what if the enemy can't be shocked and awed? Not just won't, but biologically can't!" With the exception of a weak BAT-21 story in the second act, the "interviews" and personal accounts capture the universal fear of the collapse of society--a living nightmare in which anyone can become a mindless, insatiable predator at a moment's notice. Alas, Brad Pitt's production company has purchased the film rights to the book--while it does have a chronological element, it's more similar to a collection of short stories: it would make for an excellent 24-style TV series or an animated serial. Regardless, horror fans won't be disappointed: like George Romero's Dead trilogy, World War Z is another milestone in the zombie mythos. Carlos Orellana
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Want to see more reviews on this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > United States
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Zombies, Vampires & Werewolves > Zombies
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > War
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Supernatural
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Historical
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Military
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Supernatural
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > TV, Movie & Video Game Adaptations