XML Web Services with ASP.NET Paperback – May 24 2002
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“….something of a bible…” (Software World)
From the Back Cover
"This book is an invaluable resource for developers building XML Web Services with Microsoft .NET."
-Rob Howard, Program Manager, ASP.NET Team, Microsoft Corporation
"Given the flood of cookie-cutter books, it's refreshing to find a technical book written with such an optimal mix of clarity, conciseness, and quality as this one."
-Michael Lane Thomas, .NET Evangelist, Microsoft Corporation
Microsoft's .NET Framework opens up a whole new world of Web services. This comprehensive guide shows you how to get a handle on the new .NET and XML Web services tools - and get up to speed on building your own next-generation Web applications. Using plenty of ASP.NET examples in Visual Basic .NET and C#, .NET expert Bill Evjen explains step by step how to construct and consume both simple and complex Web services. Along the way, he demonstrates how to incorporate many key technologies into your applications, including WSDL, UDDI, Disco, SOAP, authentication, encryption, ADO.NET, and .NET Remoting. Evjen also offers practical tips and techniques for error and exception handling, optimization, and other advanced issues.
You will learn how to:
* Build XML Web services using ASP. NET and Visual Basic .NET or C#
* Consume Web services in a Web or Windows form
* Describe and discover Web services using WSDL, UDDI, and Disco
* Strengthen Web services by expanding SOAP messages
* Lock in Web services security with authentication and encryption
* Tap in to SQL Server data for your Web services using ADO.NET
* Tackle advanced Web services programming issues
* Work with .NET Remoting
The companion Web site features all the source code from the book.
Top Customer Reviews
The book is outstanding and takes an in-depth look at XML Web services, and Microsoft's specific implementation of the paradigm. All of the major considerations are explained well and adequately to become productive in developing your own library of Web services, or by extending the functionality of your applications.
The book's tone is very friendly, and non-intimidating, so it's a very easy, quick read. Bill also uses lots of practical analogies to make the more complex topics relevant, so it's an added bonus that this book appeals to the beginning as well as the seasoned developer.
Bill discusses areas critical to a thorough understanding of WS technology using .NET such as SOAP, UDDI, remoting, security, authentication, performance, and client development for calling an XML Web service from an ASP.NET WebForm or Windows Form, VB 6.0 app, or an ASP 3.0 Web page. The book also features some really good appendices, especially those on .NET's Web service classes, and an XSD primer for schema development.
The book is not about ASP.NET development, and so providing the reader has some experience with building third-generation Web applications, gets right to the meaty stuff. The chapters are short and to the point, and Bill's overview of ADO.NET is one of the better ones I've read in recent times. The most outstanding thing to me is that Bill liberally uses real-world code samples, with all code presented in both Visual Basic .NET and C#.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
Excellent book on webservices. Chapter 23 was something I had never seen before. WSDL is used extensively in the book, and Chapter 23 shows how to build take a standard HTML page... Read morePublished on July 5 2002
This book got me up and running rather quick. It was very insightful and full of tips and tricks for working with XML Web Services. Read morePublished on July 3 2002
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Hardware > PCs
- Books > Computers & Technology > Internet & Social Media
- Books > Computers & Technology > Microsoft > Development > .NET
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Development
- Books > Computers & Technology > Software
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > ASP
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Programming > XML
- Books > Computers & Technology > Web Development > Web Services
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Computers & Internet
- Books > Textbooks > Computer Science & Information Systems > Programming Languages