- You'll save an extra 5% on Books purchased from Amazon.ca, now through July 29th. No code necessary, discount applied at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
The Yellow Briar: A Story of the Irish on the Canadian Countryside Paperback – Jul 6 2009
Special Offers and Product Promotions
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Folktale, memoir, fiction, literary hoax, The Yellow Briar is all of these. Ostensibly the charming remembrance of an Irish orphan who escapes the Great Famine of 1840s Ireland and comes to the New World to seek a fresh start on the streets of Toronto and in the pioneer hinterland of Canada West (Ontario), the book was actually a fictional humbug perpetrated by John Mitchell, a Toronto lawyer, who first published the tale in 1933.
Patrick Slater, the protagonist of the "memoir," is said to have died in 1924 but not before setting his saga down on paper. And what an account it is! The Globe and Mail felt that the book "gives a picture of Ontario to be found in no other work of fiction we know and has won for itself a permanent place in Canadian literature." If nothing else, Slater/Mitchell captures perfectly the lilt of the Irish and the wry wisdom of an old soul to paint an affecting portrait of trials and tribulations in a long-ago time.
About the Author
Patrick Slater was the pseudonym of John Mitchell (1880–1951), a Toronto lawyer.
Michael Gnarowski co-edited The Making of Modern Poetry in Canada, compiled The Concise Bibliography of English Canadian Literature, edited the Critical Views on Canadian Writers Series for McGraw-Hill Ryerson, and was for many years the general editor of the Carleton Library Series. He lives in Kemptville, Ontario.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Americas > Canada
- Books > History > Canada
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Canadian > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Canadian > Short Stories
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Canadian
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > History
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Literature