Teach Yourself Icelandic Complete Course Package (Book + 2CDs) Paperback – Oct 14 2004
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
No Kindle device required. Download one of the Free Kindle apps to start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Hildur Jonsdottir has taught beginners' courses in Icelandic for two years at the University of Cambridge.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
After only using this course for a month, I already have a greater understanding of the cases of words (nominative, accusative, dative and genitive) than I ever had in 3 years of studying German. The course materials naturally flow from basic conversation (What is your name? My name is....) into more and more complex sentences, and explain in-depth the case changes as they become relevant.
If I had one recommendation for this course, I would suggest more time within the CD lessons to repeat what has been said in Icelandic. There is very little space given to practice saying the words on your own, and you may find you need to manually pause the CD in order to say the words. Since the CD lessons are conversational, this can become frustrating over time.
This book is jsut the opposite. It gently introduces the topic of case at the beginning, and it is discussed throughout the entire book. The CDs are excellent. Icelandic is a hard langauge, and not learnable in one book, but this book gets you pretty darn close.
The two languages are similar so it should not be all that difficult. Also great for reading Newspapers on the web in Icelandic.
Over all, a great product from a company that knows language.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education & Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauruses
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Foreign Language Dictionaries & Thesauruses > Danish
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Danish
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Miscellaneous
- Books > Education & Reference > Foreign Language Study & Reference > Instruction > Scandinavian
- Books > Education & Reference > Spanish-Language Reference
- Books > Qualifying Textbooks - Fall 2007 > Education
- Books > Textbooks > Humanities > Foreign Languages
- Books > Textbooks > Reference > Dictionaries