What equipment is essential for kayaking?
Once you’ve got a kayak, you’ll need a paddle, a life vest, and a helmet if you are going to be white-water kayaking.
Here some points to remember when choosing a paddle:
• Flat-bladed paddles are easy to use, making them a good choice for beginners.
• Feather-bladed paddles are great for windy environments, but can put strain on your wrists.
• A straight shaft paddle can be used for all kayaking disciplines, but can be hard on your wrists.
• Bent shaft paddles are suitable for white-water, sea and other flat water purposes, and are more comfortable to use than a straight shaft paddle.
• Short paddles are easier to manoeuvre than long paddles, and are great for white-water kayaking.
• Long paddles make distance paddling easier, so they’re perfect for sea kayaking.