What to consider when buying fitness and exercise clothing
• Choose fabrics that are breathable and wick away moisture, such as spandex, polyester and wool.
• Choose underwear made from synthetic fabrics and avoid cotton. While cotton is breathable, it does not wick moisture or dry as quickly as synthetic fabrics, so it promotes the growth of bacteria on your skin.
• If you’re going to be running and your thighs tend to rub together, choose shorts that are at least mid-thigh length to prevent chafing.
• Don’t buy clothing that is too tight, or it may restrict your movement and prevent air flow to your skin.
• For summer, choose light coloured garments to stay cool. In winter, wear dark colours to trap heat and keep your body warm.
• Choose shoes with cushioned soles and arch support that are specifically designed for the sport or exercise you’re going to be doing, and make sure that they fit properly.