How to choose fitness technology
• Consider the design of the technology you’re looking at as you'll be wearing it frequently. You might find a fitness tracker bracelet is the easiest way to monitor your fitness. Alternatively, other pedometer and heart monitor designs clip straight onto your clothes so you don’t have to wear them around your wrist.
• Decide whether or not you need the fitness tracker to be waterproof. If you’re going to be running and sweating outdoors frequently or even swimming, a waterproof design might be optimal.
• While the majority of designs will come with heart rate tracking, some will not, so you must decide whether or not this is a feature you want. Having this feature will allow you to monitor your heart rate over a certain period of time, with some designs providing 24/7 monitoring.
• Another important feature to consider is the amount of data the device provides you with. Some technology will track both your sleep and steps, while some of the more advanced solutions will even come complete with GPS tracking. Decide what is most important to you for kickstarting or progressing with your own regime.
• Check to see if the device you’re using is compatible with your smartphone - some devices will work exclusively with iPhones or Androids, while others will work with both. Having this connectivity gives you additional tips, tracking ability, and progress reports.
• Battery life is another thing to consider as some designs will need charging regularly. All products will come with compatible chargers, so you will not need to worry about purchasing separately.