countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for Michael Davey > Reviews

Content by Michael Davey

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Michael Davey (Victoria, British Columbia, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
SODIAL(R) Universal Dial Indicator On/Off Magnetic Base Stand Holder
SODIAL(R) Universal Dial Indicator On/Off Magnetic Base Stand Holder
Offered by Happy Planet(Ships From HONGKONG)
Price: CDN$ 18.94
2 used & new from CDN$ 18.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A little small but works pretty well with my 10x22. Probably best for a 7x14., Aug. 18 2016
I like this though it's not without it's problems. First it's just a little too small. I've read of complaints that it's too small, it's not steady and the magnet isn't strong enough. It is small although the height is mentioned in the listing, and a little consideration can over come most problems dealing with height. It's a little to short for my 10x22, I'd say it would be a very good height for a 7x14. I found it to be steady when the magnet is on a good sturdy base. The base is not so good when it's on my way, it doesn't fit as snugly onto the triangular part of my lathe as I would like, but that's pretty much to be expected. They can't build them to fit every lathe. The magnet could be stronger and would work better if it was.
The tightening screws work well, once tightened I had no problems with it loosening.

2PCS 2mmx16mmx200mm HSS Tool Cutoff Bit Cutter Boring Bar for Lathes
2PCS 2mmx16mmx200mm HSS Tool Cutoff Bit Cutter Boring Bar for Lathes
Offered by discounttown
Price: CDN$ 7.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for me on the two metals I've tried it on., Aug. 18 2016
These HSS cut off tool bits worked well for me. They are a good price, they are long so have plenty of material to grind when needed. It fits well into the quick change tool holder I purchased. I've only used them on two materials so far, aluminum which was very easy to cut, and a cut off from a 4 foot bolt from an old plywood mill. I think the bolt might be as old as 50 years. I'm new to lathe work so take that into account.

Accusize - 5 Pcs/Set 3/8'' Indexable Carbide Insert Turning Tool Bits, #2380-5062

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a hot knife through butter., Aug. 18 2016
The indexable carbide lathe tools were ordered after I fumbled about trying to grind my own HSS lathe bits. While I've gotten better at grinding my own, the carbide bits are great, they easily cut the most difficult metal that my ground bits don't at all like. If I had to do it again I think I'd order the next size up for 10x22 lathe, I ordered and received 3/8. 1/2 would probably fit this lathe better and be sturdier. On the other hand the 3/8 bits are small and easily fit into tight spots. I've only used two of the bits so far, but they both cut like a hot knife through butter. That was with aluminum, mild steel, stainless steel and a cut off from a four foot long steel bolt from an old plywood mill that gave every one of my HSS ground bits fits.

All that said, I'm pretty much brand new to lathe work, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

PowerCore 20000 with Quick Charge 3.0, Anker's First Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Portable Charger, Backwards Compatible with All Versions of Qualcomm Quick Charge, For Samsung, iPhone, iPad and more
Offered by AnkerDirect-CA
Price: CDN$ 99.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price point, could use a small white LED as a flashlight., Jan. 14 2016
I just received an Anker PowerCore 15600 from Amazon.ca
The price was $28.99 CAD for the black model, at Amazon.com it's 32.99 CAD for the white model. What I find annoying is the prices are "on sale", so it's:
List Price: CDN$ 99.99
Price: CDN$ 89.99
Sale: 28.99

I'm not a fool, and a simple check of competing products show if Anker is really selling their product for $100 Canadian, they are insane. But really it's just a mind game to get people to believe it's a fantastic deal.
Don't get me wrong, $28.99 is a fairly good price for the amount of power the device contains, which is why I bought it. But I don't like companies trying to manipulate me with this "regular price a bazillion dollars, but for you, 32 cents." nonsense.

I received the product two working days after I ordered it, zero shipping costs. But since I wasn't home I had to pick it up two days later, but that's hardly their fault. That's just the way it is.

The package was in a small box with brown wrapping paper stuffed inside to prevent the package from bouncing around. The Anker Powercore 15600 came in a blue and white box. Inside was the Powercore, a low quality mesh like fabric bag and a small USB to micro USB cord that can be used to charge the PowerCore from a wall socket USB charger or a computer. It can also be used to power or charge a Kindle with the PowerCore. The box also contained a very small manual and an even smaller card with the question "Happy?" on it.

Instructions are pretty straight forward. Press and release a button on the side. Some of four blue led lights will tell you how charged the batteries are. Mine were 3/4 charged. I plugged a wall USB charger in, placed the PowerCore on the stove and connected both ends of the USB cord, one to the wall charger, the other to the input on the PowerCore. After two hours the leds went to four solid, then turned off, which means it was fully charged. I disconnected the cord and placed the cord and PowerCore into it's bag. Then I charged my iPod classic, which took about 30 minutes to bring to full charge.
The PowerCore has two USB outputs of 5 volts / 2.4 amps each. The PowerCore input is 5 volts, 2 amps. I read somewhere it's reccommended that you use a 2 amp charger. Using only one amp could mean a very long charge, possible damaging the Powercore.
I also read at their FAQ online that you should NOT charge the PowerCore while using it to charge another device, it will certainly damage the PowerCore. The instructions says it should be charged every 4 months to keep the batteries in conditioned.

The PowerCore weighs 13.2 ounces, 375 grams with bag and USB cord. It's about 165 mm (6.5 inches) long, about 60 mm wide (2.4 inches), 20mm high (.75 inches).

It's too big and heavy for a shirt or pants pocket, not too bad for jacket, especially a heavy winter jacket. It will fit in a purse, backpack or briefcase easily.

I purchased it because I frequently find myself forgetting to charge my iPod Classic 160 or Kindle keyboard, I use both to listen to books. The Kindle keyboard has a type to speech, which I like. Not nearly as much as a well narrated book, but as I've gotten older my eyes don't do reading as well. Anyways, the Ankor PowerCore allows me to charge either on the go. If I'm outside I put it in my jacket pocket, if I'm inside or not using a jacket I use my fanny pack. I also expect the PowerCore to come in handy during power outages.

What I would like to see is a small LED light so the PowerCore can be used as a low powered flashlight. I don't need a high power light, just something that allows me to see my door lock for my house or car. I do have a small USB rechargeable flashlight, so it's not a big deal. The competition has one but the cost was 30% more for the light in a similar powered package. That was more than I wanted to pay, since the PowerCore wasn't a necessity to me, a low price point was more important than minor accessories.

Before purchasing I read some reviews including a couple that tested the power output and compared to company claims. They said the claimed power output is about 25 percent higher than actual, but generally to be expected across the industry products. Long term utility and battery usage has yet to be determined, but the batteries inside are supposed to be good quality Panasonic. I'm not taking mine apart to see if this is true, in my experience taking apart these kinds of devices often breaks tabs and leaves them never seating together quite as well as when new.

I like it, and give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Pocket Size Stainless Steel Crowbar Pry Bar Widgy Bar EDC Tool for Bushcraft & Survival
Offered by GOODBUYER
Price: CDN$ 3.28
2 used & new from CDN$ 3.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Little pry bar for little jobs, where ever you are., Nov. 30 2015
Occasionally I have need to do a little prying. To open a box, lift up a trap door, what have you. In the past I've used a cheap knife, but the cheap knife was replaced with a better knife, and I don't want to break the end off of it. So I got two of these. One for me, one for my son.
It's a good size for a keychain and a good size for small jobs. It's not all that useful for pulling nails out unless they are small, so keep that in mind.
Also keep in mind that the small surface area means it can be easy to mark or dent wood and other materials, so be careful.

This one is the perfect size to open the floor access to the crawl space under my house.
If there was one down side, I'd say it could be a little bigger, perhaps 50%.

Sonline Wireless Anti Static Discharge Band Ground Wrist Strap Belt - Sky Blue
Sonline Wireless Anti Static Discharge Band Ground Wrist Strap Belt - Sky Blue
Offered by FAIR TOP--Ships From Hongkong
Price: CDN$ 2.51
2 used & new from CDN$ 2.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and inexpensive., Oct. 13 2015
Until I bought this I used a copper wire wrapped around my wrist with a wire with alligator clips. It worked but my wrist turned green and clips pulled off if I went to far. This was inexpensive enough to buy two, it works, fits well with a stretchy band and coiled wire so the alligator clip doesn't get pulled off. The conductive part is just a small area so you need to be sure it's on a spot where it will always contact your skin. Easy peasy, lemon breezy.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Portable Alloy Iron Hand Tool for Fishing, but the guilt eats at my soul., Oct. 13 2015
I bought one of these Portable Alloy Iron Hand Tools for fishing devices, I found it very helpful for fishing. The first fish I caught was a spring salmon. I gave it a good downward punch with the fishing tool, and the fish was knocked out clean. A second punch killed it. I tried gutting the fish with the tool, but that was just messy and ripped the fish apart.

The next fish was a bass. I had to chase him right into the water. I swam underneath and gave it a decent uppercut. He weaved and drove himself into my eye. Then it became a real fight. I brought up my left hand to protect myself, and jabbed with my right. I hit the bass twice and had him dizzy, so I finished him with a punch straight into the solar plexus. That was when I realized it was a girl bass, the row floated out as the bass gently floated to the surface. I was horrified by what I'd done.
I've since thrown the Portable Allow Iron Hand Tool for Fishing away. Don't get me wrong, it was impeccable tool for punching fish, but I can't live with myself for using it. You'll need to be a stronger man than me.
I still have nightmares of that poor girl bass.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2015 10:28 AM PDT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars I like the concept, but there were not enough executions., Sept. 17 2015
The elastics can be difficult to put on. I haven't had a problem with cold weather and the elastic not shrinking like others have. It caught exactly one rat, which managed to run about 3 feet away before it passed out and died. That is the one feature I like, the rats suffer very little. Unfortunately, I must have super intelligent rats, because after the first rat they chewed through the clear plastic to get at the peanut butter, avoiding any possibility of setting off the trap.
Next I am going to try a more expensive electric trap.

Medline Acetaminophen Extended Release Caplets
Medline Acetaminophen Extended Release Caplets
Offered by HS Wholesale
Price: CDN$ 36.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Ten times the cost of the local store., July 7 2015
Price plus shipping equals 70.77 cents per 650mg 8 hour pill.
Total price is 35.33 including shipping, for 50 pills.
The local large pharmacy carries their own brand acetaminophen extended release, 200 pills (650mg) for $15.99
Which works out to 8 cents a pill.

71 cents a pill compared to 8 cents a pill. Almost 10 times more money per pill.
I prefer extended release acetaminophen at night, it doesn't stop working halfway through the night.
The product is good, the price is obscene.

The Inerrancy Of The Bible
The Inerrancy Of The Bible
Price: CDN$ 3.73

1.0 out of 5 stars Free, and it still costs too much., Jan. 10 2015
This isn't an argument for or against the inerrancy of the Bible, it's just a lot of blind faith. This is what the author says about those who disagree with the inerrancy of the Bible:

"As every Christian Apologist eventually discovers, there are many Christians (insiders) who resent the Bible because of one or more reasons. This might be due to secret moral failure, selfish ambitions, deep-seated sins and bitterness against God, etc. They are there in every generation, identify themselves as professing Christians, and even occupy prominent positions in the Church and Christian organizations. Yet deep in their heart they keep unseating the Bible from the position it ought to be given. These people became miserable when someone defends the inerrancy, infallibility and the uniqueness of the Bible."

There is the argument for innerancy of the Bible. If you don't believe it, there must be something wrong with you.
The quality of the arguments explains the price. Sometimes, you get exactly what you pay for.

Page: 1 | 2