countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools
Profile for Carol > Reviews

Content by Carol

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Carol (Ontario)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Rather Be the Devil
Rather Be the Devil
by Ian Rankin
Price: CDN$ 21.75
26 used & new from CDN$ 5.20

4.0 out of 5 stars another winner, Feb. 24 2017
This review is from: Rather Be the Devil (Hardcover)
I have read all the Rebus books over many years and Ian Rankin still has me coming back for more. Time to start a re-read from the beginning of all the books.
Perhaps just a few too many characters but it all comes clear at the end. I wish Rebus was just a few years younger (not my age) so we could look forward to another decade of stories with him.

The Boys of Everest: Chris Bonington and the Tragedy of Climbing's Greatest Generation
by Clint Willis
Price: CDN$ 16.38
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.83

4.0 out of 5 stars good read but more like fiction, Jan. 20 2017
I am in the process of reading this book. It is very interesting and gives lots of insight into the mindset of the people who are compelled to climb extreme mountains or explore the poles. However it reads more like a book of fiction simply because of the authors' dialogue about what all the climbers seem to be thinking and believe even when falling off a mountain. Perhaps he was able to get insight from those who survived but I agree with some of the other reviewers criticisms. It is still a good book but perhaps the author should have been a bit less flowery with his language and stick more to objectivity.

An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor
An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor
by Michael Smith
Price: CDN$ 31.11
34 used & new from CDN$ 10.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful true tale of heroism, Dec 15 2016
This is a fascinating story of triumph under horrendous conditions. I cannot imagine any modern day, so call extreme adventurer, being able to come close to what Tom Crean and his contemporaries did over 100 years ago in Antarctica with no access to modern clothes, radios, decent food or a quick rescue. If all he had done was a couple of his fantastic feats of bravery covered before his trip with Shackleton, that would be outstanding, But Tom Crean did many amazing things that cannot be matched. If someone wrote this book as fiction, reviewers would say it was too implausible. But this is a true story making it all the more amazing. I highly recommend this book.

Chloe Lighting  Serenity 2-Light Tiffany Style Victorian Semi Flush Ceiling Fixture with 16-Inch Shade
Chloe Lighting Serenity 2-Light Tiffany Style Victorian Semi Flush Ceiling Fixture with 16-Inch Shade
Price: CDN$ 248.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 248.99

4.0 out of 5 stars colourful, April 25 2016
Up close the lamp has flaws but I did not expect the lamp to look "professionally made" as it was fairly inexpensive. I have made stained glass lamps in the past so I know how much work it is and why they can cost many hundreds of dollars. However hanging in the hall it looks great and gives off lots of light and is very colourful. Just don't buy one of these lamps if you are going to see it close up. For example a table lamp could look pretty cheap.

The Sandman (The Joona Linna Series)
The Sandman (The Joona Linna Series)
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars fast paced thrillers, April 25 2016
I have read all 4 books in the series and I see another will be out soon. All are fast paced and have some of the same characters in the police force.
The criminals are pretty brutal and there are lots of plot twists and surprises. All a pretty good read if you are looking for action and suspense mixed with some violence. Sounds like American TV dramas!
In The Sandman there were a few things I did not think feasible. Sending the drop dead gorgeous police woman on that mission, which I won't mention in any detail, seemed implausible. Also I see no purpose in 2 page chapters since there was usually not a plot break after each one. Reminds me of the poor quality writing of James Patterson. Do the writers or publishers think we cannot concentrate on a 10 page chapter?

Alone On the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story In The History Of Exploration
Alone On the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story In The History Of Exploration
by David Roberts
Price: CDN$ 29.50
22 used & new from CDN$ 14.44

4.0 out of 5 stars terrific polar adventure, Aug. 27 2015
Alone on the Ice is a riveting story of Antarctic exploration and survival in an age when there were NO modern conveniences to make these trips far safer. I doubt anyone today could accurately re-create either this survival story or Shackleton's epic adventure on the ill fated Endurance. In fact at the end of David Robert's book he tells how modern 2 men did try to follow exactly the final tragic month on the ice by Douglas Mawson and the one remaining adventurer trying to eat a similar diet and wear clothes appropriate to the early 20th century. Since they had a film crew: hence help if anything went wrong, and did not travel where there was a risk of crevasses it did not even come close to accuracy.
If you enjoy polar adventure or extreme mountain climbing books this one is recommended.

Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy, Book 3)
Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy, Book 3)
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 10.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the first 2 books so far, Oct. 6 2014
I enjoyed the first 2 books so far, and I am into part 2 of book 3 and I am disappointed. It seems very slow moving and drags and although I am not a prude there is way "TMI" about President Kennedy and sex with the black intern. I don't really think we need to hear about him teaching her about oral sex! Whether that is all historically true or not it is un-necessary and vulgar. The first few chapters seemed predictable, with the east German Stasi and Russian repression of the 1960's.You just know in advance that the main characters are in big trouble. Other reviewers say it will get better. I hope so for the high price of this book.

Purgatory (Jack Taylor series)
Purgatory (Jack Taylor series)
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ken Bruen is a writer like no one else, Sept. 1 2014
Ken Bruen is a writer like no one else. Funny and sarcastic, brilliant, terrible, clever....His style is unique and riveting. His characters are full of flaws like real people! This book kept me up late as I had to finish it and I will give nothing away but to say it has a shocking ending.
I first found out about the Jack Taylor novels by watching a TV series this past spring and I was intrigued. Having read a great deal of Scandinavian crime and British over the years, trying Irish crime novels was new to me and I look forward to more. Just be aware that Ken Bruen "does not do happy" and the books are very "noir".

KISS Guide to Raising a Puppy
KISS Guide to Raising a Puppy
by Liz Palika
Price: CDN$ 21.12
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.55

4.0 out of 5 stars well written and human friendly, May 17 2014
We got a border collie pup 3 weeks ago. I have found this book to be very easy to read with lots of pictures and not too much un- needed written stuff, human user friendly and well written.
She explains the stages a pup goes through with good suggestions on training.
However as perfect as a puppy is when raised by a professional who makes a living training dogs and writing books, be advised that a puppy is still a "wild beast out of control" at times and nothing in the book will work all the time for a long time. It is a slow slog with successful housebreaking, with the puppy biting everything, especially feet, and going wild and then collapsing into a sweet bundle to nap. I still have yet to master the art of patience.

Shock Wave (A Virgil Flowers Novel, Book 5)
Shock Wave (A Virgil Flowers Novel, Book 5)
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, March 14 2014
John Sandford is one of my favourite authors. The only novel I did not like was one of the Prey books that features Lucas Davenport's adopted and very irritating daughter Lettie who had way too big a part in that book.
Virgil Flowers is a great character and I am reading them all now in chronological order when possible. Shock Wave was fast moving and clever. Flowers is very entertaining with his rock tee shirts, surfer looks but razor sharp detective skills. Sandford does a terrific job of building the character.
No one says they want a super size box store coming to their town...but everyone shops there. So many people stand to lose when Pye-Mart wants to come to town. This book has plenty of twists and turns and the reader is fooled almost to the end about the true villain. A great read and on to the next Virgil Flowers book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5