countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for Steven R. McEvoy > Reviews

Content by Steven R. McEvoy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 96

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PALEOETHICS Vanilla, Vanilla, Super serum vanilla, 400 Gram
PALEOETHICS Vanilla, Vanilla, Super serum vanilla, 400 Gram
Price: CDN$ 53.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not quite great, Sept. 27 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (what's this)
This is the third Paleo Ethics product that I have tried And I find it hard to write a review for this one. Unlike the PALEOETHICS Super Greens 170 Gram that I loved, and the PALEOETHICS Vegan Recovery 143 Gram which I enjoyed, This one for a vanilla protein powder was great, but overall is a little more wanting then the other offerings I have tried.

For the most part Vanilla protein powders are awful, they usually smell great but taste horrible. I once struggled through half a tub of a product mixing it 1 to 2 with either chocolate or strawberry and finally gave up and threw the rest out. I am not sure why making a great tasting vanilla product has proved so hard. Now don't get me wrong this one tastes good, but is way too sweet for my palate. I am not sure if it is the Stevia, Vanilla Caramel or the Coconut oil powder but I could not drink this on its own. I tried mixing it with water, juice, and even greens powders. Just could not find a good way to have it just as a drink. Finally took to mixing it into smoothies that were heavy on chia and hemp hearts to tone it down. Also mixing it needed the bullet, just a glass or shaker always ended up with clumping.

I have seen two different sets of nutritional labels for this product. One says there are 18g protein for 1 scoop and the other 18g protein for 2 scoops. Not sure which is accurate? I like that the sugars are 0 and the sodium lower than many other brands.

The ingredients are: Super Serus (beef), Beef protein Isolate, Stevia, Natural Vanilla Flavour, Natural French Vanilla, Coconut Oil Powder.

I really believe this product could be amazing if it had half the stevia. As it is it is a good product and serves its stated purpose. And you can really appreciate the no eggs, non GMO, gluten free, dairy and soy free, no added sugar, no nuts, no corn and Paleo certified.

Would I get it again not likely but based on the quality I would be more than willing to try some of their other products. Good try but not quite there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2016 9:27 AM PDT

The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace)
The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace)
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story telling prompting deep thought, Sept. 25 2016
I have read a number of books by Erin Bow, both here young adult fiction and her poetry published under the name Erin Noteboom. Most of her books were hard to put down. But because I was reading a physical ARC of this book it was only read at home, mostly later in the evening. As such the read of this book took longer than most books I read. And in many ways that was a good thing. This book is cognitive fiction, as you read or even after you finish you will find yourself, thinking, reflecting and ruminating on some of the themes and motif's presented.

What does it mean to be human, to be loyal, and to love? To see something you desperately want slipping through your fingers and not knowing how to stop it? To want to save the world, but lose sight of the individuals while focusing on the masses. To be an AI connected to the whole world and lose that? To be willing to sacrifice, but having to figure out what is worth sacrificing and what is not no matter the cost. These and more are some of the things I reflected upon while reading this book.

Bow writes a powerful narrative, filled with passion, a few betrayals, loyalty, friendship and love. Greta Stuart expected to die young, as a prisoner of peace, she knew she would likely die because of a war over water rights. But she accepted a different path. She chose to become an AI, but having been raised royalty, living as a hostage left a mark on her, and as she gave up her humanity she committed to fighting to be even more human than before.

The swan riders are loyal servants of the AI's they are the boots on the ground in a global peace keeping initiative started s few hundred years ago, when the control of all the weapons platforms in space was taken over by the AI's. So Talis (aka Michael), Greta the new AI, and two swan riders as guards are riding across a post-apocalyptic Saskatchewan, with lots of time for discussion, discovery and difficulties . And in all of this Greta is the most precious cargo of all the first new AI in over 100 years. Greta has some serious influence in how all these complicated events are going to play out.

There are some LGBT themes in this book, though not as overt as in the first volume. A major part of the plot does revolve around relationships, and how those dynamics can change when a second intelligence can use a host body, thus changing things a lot. To some extent the majority of the book is about relationship, relationship on a personal level, with the demigod AI's, with the nations under the thumb of threat. And how those different levels interact and influence decisions and reactions.

The book is well written and again the strongest part of the characters. We experience a lot of growth in both Greta, and Elian. We also see a sort of metamorphosis in Michael (Talis). It was an interesting follow up novel, I was not quite as impressed as I was when I read Scorpion Rules, but still a very good book.

Thank you Erin Bow for another interesting adventure.

Immersed in God: Blessed Josemaria Escriva, Founder of Opus Dei As Seen by His Successor, Bishop Alvaro Del Portillo by Alvaro Del Portillo (1996-04-03)
by Alvaro Del Portillo;Cesare Cavalleri
3 used & new from CDN$ 69.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, Sept. 23 2016
This book has just been reprinted as 40 Years with a Saint: Blessed Alvaro del Portillo on St. Josemara Escriva. I have read this book through and know that I will read It again. It was inspiring, motivating and encouraging. I first started reading about Opus Dei and Saint Josemaria Escriva the founder over a decade ago. And yet the more I read, the more I am impressed with both the man and the organization. And this book was an incredible read, opening up the life of the man and the work from one of the earlier members, Blessed Alvaro del Portillo.

Bishop Alvaro del Portillo lived with and worked closely with Josemaria Escriva for 40 years. The faith of both men come through in the book, their friendship, their support for each other and their dedication to serving the Church. The book is an interview with the back and forth between Cavalleri and del Portillo.

The sections in this book are:

Foreword
12. A Reputation for Sanctity
13. June 26, 1975
A Chronology of the Life of St. Josemaría Escrivá
Bibliographical Note

Some of the stories in this book have different versions told elsewhere. But many of them are new. It is the personal account of a life lived in service. A life committed to following Gods leadings, guidance an immense trust in Gods provision. This book was an excellent read. It will challenge your faith and how you live it out. The examples of Escriva and del Portillo will both motivate and encourage.

This book is wonderful and I encourage you to give it a read with an open heart!

Icarus Down
Icarus Down
by James Bow
Price: CDN$ 13.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible read in a classic science fiction style!, Sept. 21 2016
This review is from: Icarus Down (Paperback)
I have read two other books by James Bow and greatly enjoyed them, but this book takes my appreciation of his writing to a whole new level. It was interesting I was reading both this book, and The Swan Riders - Prisoners of Peace book 2 by his wife Erin Bow at the same time. I was reading the eBook of this and a printed advance copy of Swan Riders. Slowly this book started monopolizing more and more of my time until I rushed through to finish it first. It got to the point where I just could not put this book down, I ended up taking a long lunch at work to finish it one day.

This story is gripping with a great intensity even with the slow pace of the story and is compelling in the message it conveys and how it is presented. It a world founded on lies and secrets a group of humans spread across thirteen cities suspended in chasms live a perilous life. The sun will easily kill humans if in it directly for long, but there are monsters in the fog below on the ground. Much of the technology that brought them here was lost in the first few days because of how harsh an environment it is and wiring just fried. And now their world is about to be turned upside down.

Simon Daud just wanted to be a pilot. And on his final flight test something goes terribly wrong. His brother is lost and he is horribly burned. But he survived. But soon his life is in upheaval as he finds out secrets his friends, his brother and even his mother had kept from him. He must decide if he will help the group known as grounders. But all that changes when his city is sabotaged and crashed to the ground. And with that he is abandoned to the fog forest. And this is where things get even more interesting. Tic Tic Tic.

This book as mentioned was very hard to put down. In some ways it reminds me of reading Dune by Frank Herbert when I was much younger. And it is also reminiscent of some themes Robert A. Heinlein, especially Stanger in a Strange Land. Humans who want to leave earth and the veil we have done to one another, only to succumb to what we hate most. The masses deceived and fooled by a few for many, many years. And learning to accept the self through finally understanding the alien, and through that recognising the alien within us all.

The characters in this story are masterfully written, from Simon and Eliza to the nefarious Tal. The characters are one of this books greatest strengths. Another is the pace of the plot, the time travelling and learning. The discoveries and having to learn to accept and live with them. And I loved how the story was told back and forth, the first part of the book is Simon's story and then it is told back and forth from both Simon and Eliza or EK-TAAK-TOCK-TAAK, point of view.

Overall I cannot think of a single criticism of this book. The closest would maybe be that I wish it was written in such a way that the story would continue. This is wonderful read in a classic science fiction style and I wish I could give it more than 5 stars!

A Break in the Chain
A Break in the Chain
by Chris d'Lacey
Edition: Library Binding
Price: CDN$ 22.95
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth tracking down, Sept. 19 2016
I have now read 15 books by Chris d'Lacey in under a year. With every book I enjoy his skill as a writer more. He has a way of drawing readers into the subjects. It was wonderful to go back and read this one of his earliest books. My son and I tracked down that one after reading A Hole in the Pole. It has most of the same characters and continues on the same track. And again it was great seeing precursors to characters from both The Dragons of Wayward Crescent and The Last Dragon Chronicles. All three of my children love this book and many other we have read by d'Lacey.

This is the continuing story of Billy Cockcroft, but this time instead of being concerned about the hole in the ozone at the North Pole, the focus is on the effect of an oil spill in the arctic. This time Billy becomes responsible to explaining about the Polar Bear's food chain. But the TV news about the oil spill and the effect it is having. Soon Billy has another mystical experience with the Polar Bear Lorel and through that mobilizes his class to raise money to help with the clean-up in the artic. They soon raise awareness locally and through the news much further afield.

The story is very well written. It has great characters, an interesting plot and a great pace for early readers transitioning from picture books to early chapter books. My children loved the clean-up project they tried. They were also fascinated with the descriptions of early computers and computers arriving in the class room. They asked if that was what it was like.

The illustrations really add to the story. Towards the centre of the book is a full double page illustration that my son has spent a lot of time going back to. They are bright, and really are fun.

Chris d'Lacey is currently my favourite author. I have acquired all of his eBooks and have been slowing tracking down his older out of print books, like this one. I have yet to encounter a story that my children do not love, and that I also greatly enjoy. This was a wonderful read and is well worth tracking down. Chris d'Lacey writes in such an engaging style that children love his writings and those who read to and with them will also. I can highly recommend this book.

PALEOETHICS Vegan Recovery 143 Gram
PALEOETHICS Vegan Recovery 143 Gram
Offered by Win in Health Canada
Price: CDN$ 33.83
2 used & new from CDN$ 33.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Great while hot., Sept. 18 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (what's this)
This is an interesting product. I enjoy it, but I believe there is room for improvement. It is very interesting having a recover drink that is warm, or hot to drink. It has a great taste, it is much like drinking a neo citron or peppermint tea cross. The flavour is good. And a nice warm cup at the end of the day for recovery is a great idea.

Each scoop of Paleo Ethics Vegan Recovery Matrix contains a mix of Pea Protein, Zinc, Magnesium, Coconut Oil Powder, Gellan Gum, Stevia, Natural Vanilla Flavour, Peppermint Natural Flavour, Natural Chai Flavour. But what I love most about this product is also what it does not contain, non GMO, no corn, no soy, gluten free, no eggs no dairy, no added sugar and no fillers.

But there are some drawbacks. The mix separates quickly as it cools. So you either need to drink it really quick. Or keep stirring as you drink. Also once it separates or cools it starts to have a slightly chalky taste that is not present when it is really hot.

Overall it is a good product. I have used it every day for 2 weeks and really think it is a great way to cap off the evening, and set up the recovery formula is a great kick off for the next day.

I can highly recommend it.

Price: CDN$ 2.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible read, Sept. 18 2016
This book was an incredible read. It takes the personality types of the DISC style and convert’s them into birds. And then through a series of short parables the different birds learn to maximize the advantages of their type and how to overcome some of the weaknesses. The material is very easy to access based on the way it is presented. This is one of the best personal development books I have ever read. The Chameleon: Life-Changing Wisdom for Anyone Who has a Personality or Knows Someone Who Does by Merrick Rosenberg. The book reads much like Patrick Lencioni’s leadership books, for each chapter is a parable teaching a lesson based on the bird types.

The types are:
Dominance - Eagle
Influence - Interactive - Parrot
Steadiness - Supportive - Dove
Conscientiousness - Logical – Owl

But it is also part the 5 Love Languages and part stoic wisdom. Merrick uses the birds because once people hear him speak about the birds they never forget their bird type. But for years people came up to him saying they had heard him speak, or read about DISC bust usually were not sure what their type was.

The description of the book is: “Laugh And Learn Through Twenty-Two Entertaining Fables That Reflect The Challenges You Experience In Your Life story.
Guided by an all-knowing chameleon, four unassuming birds play the roles of the personality styles. The insights gained from their interactions and struggles will lift you to new heights of understanding yourself. Let the Wisdom of The Chameleon Enable You to Effortlessly Adapt to the People and Situations Around You.

Join an Eagle, Parrot, Dove, and Owl on their enlightening journey as you learn to:
• Capitalize on your strengths-
• Deepen your most important relationships
• Enhance your career
• Live a more fulfilling life

This book will be an excellent resource for both your personal and your professional live. The lessons learned will be applicable in your interactions with others. I already have plans to read it again and also check other Merrick’s other book Taking Flight!

It is a great little read and I thing you will be interested in it, and will greatly benefit from this great read.

A Shepherd in Combat Boots: Chaplain Emil Kapaun of the 1st Cavalry Division
A Shepherd in Combat Boots: Chaplain Emil Kapaun of the 1st Cavalry Division
by William L Maher
29 used & new from CDN$ 13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and inspirational, Sept. 12 2016
I do not read a lot of physical books any more. In fact in the range of 30 or 40 eBooks to every physical book. But this book came highly recommended to me and I am very grateful I took the risk. I did not know much about the book, the author or even the subject. But I respected the friend who recommended it enough to take the risk.

This was a very powerful story. My own grandfather served in Korea with the Canadian Forces, and though he was Scotch Presbyterian, and did not like to tell stories about his time in service, we had heard a few over the years. Nothing like the stories in this book. The description of the book is:

"Early in the Korean War Chinese forces surrounded troops of the 1st Cavalry Division. Trying to escape-the American soldiers warned Catholic Chaplain Emil Kapaun. However, he refused to leave his wounded comrades and became a POW. His decision marked a turning point in the inspiring life of this young catholic priest.

Raised on a farm in Kansas, Kapaun served as pastor in his hometown until he became an army chaplain during World War II. The book describes the beginning of the Korean conflict and how Chinese forces surrounded Kapaun and other Cavalrymen in the freezing hills of North Korea.

Kapaun's faith and courage on the battlefield and in prison set an example for hundreds of young American captives. When they were starving he stole food for them. If the men needed encouragement he defied prison rules and prayed with them. When the communist guards mocked his faith in God, the chaplain publicly defended his beliefs.

When Kapaun became sick, the communists denied him medicine and watched him die in their vermin-infested "hospital." However, they could not extinguish the memories of how he served other prisoners. The army awarded the chaplain the Distinguished Service Cross and the Vatican named him "Servant of God." This book is a well-documented biography of an extraordinary person."

This book does more than that though. Through reading the life story of this farm boy from Kansas, who became a priest and twice volunteered for active service as a military Chaplin is inspiration. This book is a challenge. It will challenge our simple life, and our faith. While reading this book and looking at Emil's example I have found myself praying more, trying harder to be an example each and every day. Giving 100% to my work, my co-worker's and my friends and family.

The first three quarters of the book is the back story. Emil's life up and including Capture by the Chinese army in North Korea. The last part of the book is life in prison camps and as a POW.

Emil was a man's man, he was kind, generous, caring and he lived to serve. This story has so inspired me I have already picked up another biography to read. His canonization process is underway. And I hope to see it completed. The words others spoke of him, other Christians, Jews, even Muslims and of course Catholics attest to his influence on all he met. And based on the samples of his writings in this book, I can only hope that someday we will see published volumes of his letters, sermons or academic work.

This book was an incredible read. To witness someone living such character in the face of the terrible conditions can give hope to all of us who strive to live and be more for God.

Archvillain #3: Yesterday Again
Archvillain #3: Yesterday Again
Price: CDN$ 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great series!, Sept. 11 2016
When it comes to finishing series sometimes I hesitate to read the last book. This was one of those times. I read books 1 and 2 as soon as they came out but for some reason it took me a long time to read book three. It part I had heard that the author hoped to make 4 books and had to cap the series because of the publisher. And in part after the second book I could just not see how it could all tie together. I am really glad I finally picked it up and finished it, Barry Lyga did it again and crafted an amazing end to a series.

In this final volume Kyle Camden is not himself. He regrets his actions for the first time. He cannot hardly look at his best friend let alone talk to her. He is focused on Mighty Mike still but now also fascinated with finding a way to undo his mistakes and ease his regret by going back in time. But things do not always go as planned, especially for a super genius and his ipod with intelligence to match. Planning to head back in time after constructing a time machine from an old motorcycle and lots of electronics. But he overshoots and ends up in 1987. Meeting a younger version of the Sheriff Munroe, and even his father.

In part this book reads as homage to Back to the Future, and in part like Meet the Robinsons. The story throws some interesting twists. And in fact I would say they are 3 great surprises in this book.

It was a great read and As mentioned earlier I should have read it much sooner. If you have read the earlier books, you owe it to yourself to see the story through. If you have not this trilogy is well worth the time.

So read them and find out about Archvillain, Archnemesis and Project Irony!

I Wish You More
I Wish You More
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little read., Sept. 10 2016
This review is from: I Wish You More (Kindle Edition)
My youngest daughter pulled this off the shelf to read before bed. I do not even recall where we got this book from. But I am so glad she picked it for us to read. It was a wonderful little book. It is a series of wishes, and to be honest they resonate with prayers I pray for my children.

This book contains 14 wishes and some of our favorites are:

I wish you more hugs than ughs.
I wish you more stories than stars.
I wish you more pause than fast-forward.

Amy has written a book that captures the essence of being a good parent, teacher, or caregiver. We always whish the best for those in our care. We want what is best for those in our life. Sometimes it is hard to explain that to children, but this book does an excellent job of capturing that sentiment and portraying it in a way that the children understand and can latch onto.

The illustrations are wonderful. Tom Lichtenheld does an amazing job of capturing the sentiment of the wishes and childhood dreams. The illustrations are bright, cheerful and fun. My daughter loves the pictures and it became an instant favorite.

We have read this a few nights in a row now and I am sure it will be a favorite for a long time to come. It is an excellent little read and with the 41 years of age difference both my daughter and I highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20