countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports tools Registry
Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazon Customer

TP-LINK TL-PA8030P KIT AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit, Power Outlet Passthrough Adapter, upto1200Mbps
Price: CDN$ 89.99
28 used & new from CDN$ 83.69

4.0 out of 5 stars - Installation was easy enough, even including downloading their utility to rename ..., Aug. 17 2016
Bought a pair of these after considering some other options. Problem I needed to solve was to get fast Internet connections from basement to 2nd floor at opposite sides of the house (what else, of course it's for kids' gaming....) Thought about stringing network cables (too much trouble), MoCA (theoretically faster, but concerned about leaking and messing up with Rogers). Powerline has matured a lot since the early days I tried it (6 years ago), and the mass commercial adoption helped with ensuring further development and product reliability. So, powerline it is.

Pros:
- Installation was easy enough, even including downloading their utility to rename the powerline network to further avoid collision and security risks.
- Network speed is good. In the basement, from speedtest.net, I got around 130 Mbps if plugged into the cable modem directly, around 80-100 Mbps over wifi if I'm close to my wifi router. Over the powerline config I have, on the 2nd floor room, I got a decent speed around 80 Mbps over LAN cable. I plugged in a second wifi router as an access point on my 2nd floor, and I also got around 80 Mbps over there (but that's to be kinda expected, not much loss in throughput). Not bad afterall.

Cons (not so good, but can live with):
- The plug is quite large in size. Even if you plug it into the lower outlets of a standard wall plate, it WILL block the upper one. So, be prepared to lose the entire wall outlets.

Interestingly, because of the above, I noticed that, if you need to plug in something else onto the same wall outlets, USE THE PASS-THROUGH. Apparently that's the ONLY way I can get it working. Don't think of any other ways. I tried using a standard extension cord or outlet extender (yep, for sure, I ensured that there's no attached surge suppressor). I also tried to use the upper outlet when I could, jamming a small plug into the upper outlet. In multiple scenarios, I noticed a significant drop in the speed test results. It's down from 80 or so to 20-30 Mbps. I think it's because of the noises. The only way I can get back the 80 Mbps range is plugging in directly through the pass-through. That was originally the last thing I wanted to do, thinking that would reduce the adapter throughput. And apparently the TP-LINK internal noise filter has done a decent job.

Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5.5 cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer In Premium White
Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5.5 cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer In Premium White
Price: CDN$ 252.00
18 used & new from CDN$ 203.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good rice cooker, good price at Amazon, Jan. 10 2011
Price is very good from Amazon. I used to buy these appliances from small Chinese retail stores, or Asian supermarkets like T&T. I was surprised to find the prices on Amazon, after discount, is much cheaper than the retail stores.

The rice cooker is very good. Cooks a variety of rice very well (we do Chinese/Thai jasmine rice, Japanese sushi rice, as well as brown rice). Like very much the thick metal inner cooking bowl. The cook time is a little longer than I expected - normal cooking will take around 55 minutes for 2 cups of regular and sushi rice. It has a quick cook option, which will take half the time, but the rice is not as soft. But it's a matter of getting used to. We found the rice cooked very well.

We bought this to replace our National, which had aged over the years. It's my first Zojirushi (I've owned National & Tiger). I usually look at these 3 brands at par with each other. I'm a loyal fan to Japanese rice cooker. An intersting note is that my Korean friends are all bragging about the Korean rice cookers now. They said the Korean ones are even better. Some Korean models are even more expensive than the Japanese ones these days. Times are changing :-)