boutiques-francophones Learn more countdown vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools
Profile for Thomas Douglas > Reviews

Content by Thomas Douglas
Top Reviewer Ranking: 400

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thomas Douglas "TD" (U.K.)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
[New Release]EasyAcc 10000mAh Power Bank Brilliant External Battery Pack Portable Charger with 3.1A Smart Output for iPhone Samsung HTC Smartphones Tablets- Black and Orange
Offered by EasyAcc.C Store
Price: CDN$ 39.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best got better, March 25 2016
I bought an EasyAcc 10,000mAh power bank two years ago and it is still working as well as it did on day one. As a product tester and reviewer I have tested a whole load of power banks in the past year and the one that lives in my day bag, the one I rely on, is the EasyAcc. Big capacity, it holds it charge and is has flat compact body.

So when EasyAcc asked me to test their new model, I leapt at the chance.

This 2nd Gen version is the same great power bank with a couple of improvements
- first, the cosmetic; it is flatter and longer, which I like. It has a very similar footprint to my Galaxy S6.
- second, functional; it can take greater current in (it charges up quicker) and deliver more out (it charges your devices quicker)

A small torch has been added, which I don't think is of any benefit as the one in my smartphone is much brighter.

In terms of how useful 10,000mAh is, it will charge a fancy smartphone fully, twice. Or an iPad one and a bit times. For a day away from power sockets, it is all you need.

Verdict: I love my EasyAcc and this 2nd Gen model keeps everything I like speeds up both the input and output. Five stars, and very highly recommended.

Disclosure: I was sent this item free of charge by EasyAcc in exchange for an honest review, which this is. I never take payment or incentives to write positive reviews and I am a member of Amazon's trusted Vine programme.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Moon Light - Deluxe Edition- 7 Color Settings and New Features!
Moon Light - Deluxe Edition- 7 Color Settings and New Features!
Offered by The Incredible Science Company
Price: CDN$ 44.49
4 used & new from CDN$ 44.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great night light, with added moonness, Dec 19 2015
We LOVE this moon light. As a night light it works really well, with seven colours, plus a colour-changing mode which cycles through the colours. I'd say the brightness is medium, for a night light - enough to navigate a room but not much more.

The glow-in-the-dark remote control is a very cool feature as far as my son in concerned. It needs to sit in daylight in order to glow at night, so it's best left on a window sill.

So overall a good night light, but of course it is also a moon. The surface is smooth and slightly shiny, but it has a high level of detail in the image and you can make out the 'seas' of the moon using the booklet. The booklet is very good, giving a wide range of discussion topics, from how to the moon was formed, to its phases and through to the lunar landings. If your child asks lots of questions, you'll end up on wikipedia but the booklet is a good launch pad.

There is a second booklet of activities - wordsearch, dot to dot, etc, which would suit children 6-8.

Finally, there is a real piece of meteorite, which I thought was very cool and my son didn't, but once I explained that it came from an asteroid that was older than the earth he was pretty impressed.

Verdict: a good quality moon night light which, with seven colours, is good value as a night light along. As a moon it is pretty cool, with some good educational material and the added bonus of a real asteroid fragment.

Disclosure: I was sent this item free of charge by the manufacturer for review purposes. I wasn't paid or told what to say, and this review is my own honest opinion.
Comment Comment | Permalink

XCSOURCE® 2m(6.6ft) [Apple Certified] 8-Pin Lightning to USB Charging / Data Sync Cable Cord for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus 5s 5, iPad Mini/ Mini 2/ Mini3, iPad 4/ iPad Air 2, iPod 7 (Compatible with the Latest iOS) White
Price: CDN$ 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, Sept. 26 2015
This extra long Lightning cable has proved to be extremely useful - firstly in the car, so my children can use their devices in the back whilst connected all the way to the front of the car, and secondly for charging in home whilst watching TV, which apparently is called dual screening.

It is clearly well made, and both connectors have a snug fit. Five stars.

3x3x3 Eco-friendly Plastics Speed Cube Stickerless Speed Magic Cube (Transparent)
Offered by I-xun
Price: CDN$ 13.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick, Sept. 25 2015
This is an eye-catching cube which is also a very slick speed-cube. Not QUITE as slick as the Dayan V, but very close. It is well-constructed and can cope with being shanked across a diagonal when you completely mess up.

Initially the transparency adds some visual confusion and this will slow you down, but after a couple of hours your eyes get accustomed to the variable colour - this is especially the case on the green/yellow edge piece which you can see in my photo.

Verdict: a great cube which is very fast, well built and has real visual appeal

Disclosure: I was sent this item by the manufacturer in order to test and review. This review is my honest opinion.
Comment Comment | Permalink

SINOBAND® S100 Ultra-thin and Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, 9.9 Ounces Light Weight Can be Put Into Your Pocket, Full Aluminum Enclosure with Stylish Design, Central Bellows Type Bass Cavity Deliver Clear and Lossless Sound
Offered by XDOBO INC.
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, July 5 2015
I have tested around 10 portable bluetooth speakers in the past year, and this is clearly the best both in terms of phenomenal sound quality, and good look.

Appearance - it oozes quality from the packaging, which has a great attention to detail, to the device itself, with the brushed aluminium finish and the chromed woofer.

Functionality - bluetooth connection is straightforward, and once connect it stays connected. I tested it the device separation up to 6 meters with no problems at all. It includes wired connect, which means it will work with non-bluetooth devices, such as iPods, and also can save you a little bit of battery life on your smartphone. Everything just works. The controls are simple and are well explained in the tiny manual.

Sounds quality - it is remarkable. Really. It is the bass cavity that makes this speaker - many bluetooth speakers suffer from flat sound, and even the good ones struggle with bass, but this tiny miracle gives you the full range. Obviously it is not as good as a proper speaker, and never will be, but it produces sound quality that simply should not be possible in a unit so small. You can place your finger on the bass and feel it vibrating, which my children really liked (and that turned into a mini science lesson on what sound is).

Extras - there is a TF card slot, which the unit auto-detects. I have not tested it. Note that TF is the same as microSD.

Verdict: great quality from the moment you open the shipping carton. Easily the best sound I have heard from a portable bluetooth speaker

Comment Comment | Permalink

Generic LF036 52mmx0.45 Wide Angle and Macro Lens Plus Black Lens Pouch for Nikon LF36 10-52mm Macro Lens for Nikon Cameras
Price: CDN$ 27.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, June 15 2015
This combined wide angle & macro lens is a cost way of expanding your DSLR capabilities and testing out a few new skill. If you really get into it, you will probably upgrade at some point to more expensive individual wide angle and macro lenses, but for me, with only a modest interest in photography (and too little spare time) this is ideal.

I have attached four photos to this review: the first pair is without and without he wide angle attachment; second pair is with and without the macro lens. The wide angle isn't tranformative, but it widens the angle (um, obviously) and there are situations where this is a big plus. The macro lens clearly does have wow factor and allowed me to take what would otherwise be an impossible shot.

My kit is a Nikon D7000 with a 1.4G prime lens. All shots were taken in auto mode, and for the macro shot I used manual focus. A better photogrpaher than me could probably do a lot better job of showing these off! The lenses have clean threads and I have no trouble screwing on and off.

I'm looking forward to playing around with these a little more, and to be able to do this without an expensive investment in specialist lenses is just excellent.

Verdict: a low-cost entry into wide angle and macro photography that fits existing lenses. Excellent value.

Disclosure: I was sent this item free of charge in exchange for an honest review, which this is.

XCSOURCE Selfie Stick with Bluetooth Remote Black
XCSOURCE Selfie Stick with Bluetooth Remote Black
Price: CDN$ 27.98
2 used & new from CDN$ 27.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value, May 30 2015
I can only add to the recent reviews in saying that this is an excellent set for the money.

First off, I have recently browsed for smartphone lenses, tripods and selfie sticks separately. This set has all three for the price on just one. That is serious value.

The tripod is perfect for my requirements - taking product photos and videos for my reviews with my shaky hands running everything.

The selfie stick has been grabbed by my daughter, who has been asking for one. The remote shutter works fine.

The lenses are a mixed bag - the fisheye and macro are excellent, but the wide angle is impractical.

Wide angle: see the photos of the horizon with and without the lens. As you can see, the angle is wider, but not without distortion, but more importantly the lens is not big enough for a clear shot.

The macro is wonderful. See the shots of the beads with and without. In both shots I went in as far as autofocus (using a Samsung S4) would allow. A massive difference.

Finally the fisheye, using the beads again, plus one of my dog. A lovely effect and probably the lens I will use most.

The lens mount clips on to both my smartphone and tablet with no trouble and the lenses screw in easily.

A couple is cosmetic points:
- the packaging is basic; good enough for transit, but you will want to repackage this if it is a gift
- the wide and macro lenses are screwed together and I thought one was missing even after looking twice
- a single phone mount is used for both the selfie stick and the tripod: I'd have preferred two for easier switching

Verdict: this set isn't perfect but the incredible value makes up for that, and the trips, selfie stick and two of the lenses will get plenty of use.

Four stars for content, but five for value.

Disclosure: I was given this product in exchange for an honest review, which this is. Bottom line: I would recommend this set to friends and family.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LED strip lighting, April 10 2015
This is a very impressive 5 metre strip of LED lights, which incredibly runs off 12 volts making it ideal for caravans and cars. There are 300 LED lights in total, at 60 per metre, which gives plenty of light and the colour is a warm white.

Bear in mind that it does not come with an adapter, and is not waterproof but I have used it outside without any problems.

Excellent value.

Inateck Portable Hi-Fi Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker Enhanced Bass Boost with 15 Hour Rechargeable Battery
Offered by InateckOfficial
Price: CDN$ 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, March 31 2015
You might well be unaware of the Inateck brand, but I have tested a few of their items and have been very impressed with their quality.

This speaker is no exception. It is a well built, good looking and is technically very sound. As with all bluetooth speakers of this size, you are never going to fill a church hall with it and it is important to manage you expectations. What you do get is good, clear sound, which is ideal for home use.

From a practical point, you are running completely wireless, with the in-built rechargeable battery giving you the power and bluetooth connectivity to your music source, typically a smartphone or tablet. This puts music in places where cables aren't available or would be inconvenient, such as a window sill, dining table or bathroom.

The sound is surprisingly good, given the size of the speaker and its weight. It is rated at 3W per channel, which sounds about right, and gives clear sound across the full range, only distorting at its very loudest. In outdoor use it suffers badly on a windy day, but when conditions are still it projected reasonably well.

Bluetooth pairing is straightforward and once connected it doesn't drop even when you move around the house. In a continuous test I get 9 hours out of the battery.

Verdict: a very good quality bluetooth speaker, that will provide cable-free sound wherever you need it, but at its best indoors.

Disclosure: I was sent this item to test by the manufacturer, but this review is my unbiased opinion.

XCSOURCE® RGB Top LED Bulb Spot Light Changing Lamp 16 Colors 5W GU10 + 24 Key Remote Controller For Home Part Decoration LD236
Price: CDN$ 15.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-coloured light, March 26 2015
This LED spot light does exactly what is claims, giving 15 different colours controllable remotely. The colours are okay; none of them individually are perfect, but 15 okay colours makes for a pretty compelling light overall.

The fitting is a standard GU10 and I had no trouble getting it in place. The remote control can also turn off and on, but naturally that only works if the light itself, or rather the light switch, is on.

The lighting cannot be controlled digitally, so if you fitted a wifi controllable light socket, you would still need to use the 'manual' remote control to switch colours.

Overall: a good multi-colour low energy LED bulb. Ideal for mood lighting, or a child's bedroom.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6