countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle sports Tools
Profile for Amy VG > Reviews

Content by Amy VG

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amy VG (BC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Psalms for Young Children
Psalms for Young Children
by Marie-Helene Delval
Price: CDN$ 20.50
38 used & new from CDN$ 15.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro!, March 27 2014
I find the psalms a bit tricky for me to explore with my children, as I feel some of the wording harsh and of the concepts difficult to understand. The short snippets in Psalms For Young Children of some of the psalms has been perfect to begin to explore the rich poetry of the psalms. Another helpful book I found has been wonderful is Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness by Nan Merrill. She has reworded the psalms in positive phases. My 11 yr old and 9 yr old can now hear the psalms in a new way: a beautiful, heart opening way. Psalms for Praying is still too much for my 7 yr old to understand so Psalms for Young Children is perfect for her.

Tapestries: Stories of Women in the Bible
Tapestries: Stories of Women in the Bible
by Ruth Sanderson
18 used & new from CDN$ 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful!, March 27 2014
My children and I have been enjoying this book immensely. We love Ruth Sanderson's work, as we have several of her children's books. This book offers one page stories of the women of the bible. It's been fun exploring the bible with this companion.

What We Do in Lent
What We Do in Lent
by Anne E. Kitch
15 used & new from CDN$ 3.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro and activities to learn about lent, March 27 2014
This review is from: What We Do in Lent (Paperback)
This has been a great guide for my children's journey through lent. We like reading the one line scripture readings on each page, plus the worksheets to explore the stories and ideas of the lenten season within the Anglican faith. There have been a few typos which is why I only give this 4-stars. For example, the word search spelt "temptation" incorrectly.

Journey To The Heart
Journey To The Heart
by Frank Jelenek
34 used & new from CDN$ 12.07

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a perfect intro to prayer for my children, March 27 2014
This review is from: Journey To The Heart (Paperback)
I have been looking for a children's book to share my love of Centering Prayer. The author uses the most moving words to describe the experience in terms that my three children (11, 9, and 7) can understand and use. Really captures the heart of the practice. I have several meditation style books written for children, and this one is by far the best. Highly recommend!

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger
Price: CDN$ 17.42
80 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful. Poetic. One of the best novels I've read., May 18 2010
Beautiful. Poetic. One of the best novels I've read. The Time Travelers Wife is such a lovely, yet authentic, love story with a very unique twist. It touches every emotion. I loved every minute of it. It's the kind of novel I will read over and over again.

One Hundred Days of Solitude: Losing Myself and Finding Grace on a Zen Retreat
One Hundred Days of Solitude: Losing Myself and Finding Grace on a Zen Retreat
by Jane Dobisz
Price: CDN$ 14.80
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Snippets of Wisdom, May 15 2010
One Hundred Days of Solitude by Jane Dobisz was a delight to read. Definitely full of snippets of wisdom. The reader can learn a lot about the unique Zen Buddhist philosophy by reading her experiences, as Dobisz has a knack of teaching through writing about her own personal practice. I think this would be a great book for someone who does not know the basics of Buddhism, because Dobisz eases the teachings using examples of common human experiences we all share. Lovely. Great reminders for those already on the path as well.

Cave in the Snow
Cave in the Snow
by Vicki Mackenzie
Price: CDN$ 19.95
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Inspiring, May 9 2010
This review is from: Cave in the Snow (Paperback)
I am deeply moved by Tenzin Palmo's life story. I practice Insight Meditation, and being a woman, I look for stories by other woman practitioners on the Buddhist path that I can indentify with and perhaps aspire to. Definitely Tenzin Palmo is one such woman. I enjoyed her life story, from her English beginnings to her early days as a Tibetan nun in India to her time in her cave to her teachings that came after. I thoroughly enjoyed getting glimpses of her core teachings in the later chapters of the book. And also, the debate of the role of women in Western Buddhism, as well as, being provided with information on some of the other Buddhist women teachers who have chosen to get married and have children with-in their spiritual path. And I think her current quest to build a Tibetan nunnery is so wonderful and inspiring. I highly recommend this inspiring read.

Lotus in the Fire: The Healing Power of Zen
Lotus in the Fire: The Healing Power of Zen
by Jim Bedard
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A true pageturner!, March 26 2010
Wow. What an amazing book. I am so glad the author Jim Bedard shared his experience. The book was so moving, so heartfelt. I practice Buddhism, not Zen, more simply Vipassana, however, the faith he has is so real and so strong, I truly believe his experiences and he has completely inspired me. Thank you Jim!

Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences
Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences
by Jeffrey Long
Price: CDN$ 26.99
21 used & new from CDN$ 6.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the skeptic, March 9 2010
I was a skeptic before reading Jeffrey Long and Paul Perry's book titled "Evidence of the Afterlife", but since we all have our eventual death in common, the book intrigued me enough to purchase it and read it front to back. I think the book definitely presents a strong case, with a lot of research and data behind it. Some of the presentation of the data was tiresome, but great for those who love to read all the facts. I thought it was written well, with a nice personal touch, Jeffrey Long come across like a very nice, intelligent man. I highly recommend for those interested in NDEs and want some well thought out proof.

Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
Raw Food Made Easy: For 1 or 2 People
by Jennifer Cornbleet
Price: CDN$ 21.95
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the newbie!, Nov. 18 2009
Since the summer I have been transitioning to almost all raw foods, with the exception of the odd homemade soup or stew. I first started off with Ani Phyo's "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" and a little while later with Cherie Soria's "The Raw Food Revolution" and while both of these recipe books are good, I was a little discouraged with the amount of work all this "uncooking" was. Then I picked up Jennifer Cornbleet's "Raw Food Made Easy" and I am so glad I did! Not only are the recipes simple and easy to prepare but all the dishes I've tried thus far are so yummy! I have tried about half of the recipes in this book. I love that Jennifer spells out everything for the newbie. Even on how to chop and use the equipment. I wish there were more entree selections, but there's enough here to get started and then "go with" to start to create your own dishes. To note: Jennifer does use avocado, nuts and seeds, though compared to other raw cookbooks, I don't think Jennifer's recipe to be overly high in fat, which is good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18