countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools
Profile for Valerie > Reviews

Content by Valerie
Top Reviewer Ranking: 107

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Valerie (Alliston, ON)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Hoover Air Cordless Lift Upright Vacuum
Hoover Air Cordless Lift Upright Vacuum
Price: CDN$ 399.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The batteries last longer then advertised!, July 27 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (what's this)
After testing this Hoover model this month; here's how my experience went!

The only vacuums I've owned before this is the 'Shark Navigator Professional Lift-Away Vacuum' &
'Shark Rotator Powered 3-in-1 Lift Away TruePet Vacuum' both of these vacuums need to be plugged in.

Right out of the box, it's light at 12.5 lbs. Walking this up a flight of stairs won't break your back. Being able to just turn it on when I need it, fabulous! None of the stickers were difficult to remove, and set up was almost instant. All I really had to do was connect the handle and put the battery in.

This vacuum comes with 2 LithiumLife Extended runtime batteries, I charged both before use. Hoover has 2 different battery chargers. This vacuum comes with the larger/faster charger model #BH03200. The manual says it should fully charge within 3 hours, but it hasn't been that way for me. It chargers in a couple of hours if it's totally dead. I've used the battery from full charge to dead, it was very warm and the charger wouldn't charge it until it completely cooled down. This could be an issue for some people, (we're always in a hurry these days!) it took about an hour for it to be back to normal/room temperature. Using the battery from fully charged to dead, I got roughly 35 min. That's 10 min longer then they claim! (50 min total using both batteries) and this was tested was on high pile, builder basic carpet.

Performance has been great. I've been using this daily on my main floor, where I only have laminate & ceramic. I don't find myself needing the brush very often, only when it comes to carpet. There's a 'Boost Mode' button that amps the power up if you really need it. I've used this on my builder basic carpet. Using the Boost Mode consistently from start to finish, I would say I got roughly 20 min of use out of one battery. While it's not as powerful as my plug in vacuums, it's pretty darn close when using this feature. Maneuvering is smooth and effortless. So much so that when I pull it back towards me, the vacuum does a snake dance! You'll have no problem getting this around furniture.

Cleaning is a breeze. I have long hair that sheds constantly; removing hair and build up on the brush is very simple. There's a 'trap door' that gives you full access to the brush area. The clips that hold it are plastic; that worries me for longevity but as long as you're not aggressive with it, you should be fine. The dirt cup is plenty big enough for one battery use. Emptying it only takes a few button clicks. The filter says it needs washing every 4-6 uses, and it's so easy to remove. It comes with a spare filter so you can keep cleaning if need be.

The most important feature of this is that it lifts away. The majority of the weight of the vacuum is in the lift canister, so you're not losing a lot of weight lifting it away. Bummer hah but it's really handy when you need to get into narrow places. I find that the reach length is great, I can actually get all those spider webs in the basement window!

Over all I would highly recommend this vacuum. The price can seem pretty steep for some, but you have to figure out if the Cordless option is worth it. I hope this helps!
Comment Comment | Permalink

CUISINART CBT-2000C Hurricane Pro 3.5 Peak HP Blender, (Gun Metal)
CUISINART CBT-2000C Hurricane Pro 3.5 Peak HP Blender, (Gun Metal)
Price: CDN$ 494.93
6 used & new from CDN$ 475.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Montel has nothing on this! Perfection in a box ♡, June 25 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (what's this)
I received this item to test about a month ago. And this is how my personal experience went.

Before this, the only blender I owned was a 2 HP Montel, Living Well Blender that was gifted to me. It always gave me a hard time crushing ice and doing general tasks. I've never been happy with it, but I dealt with it because it was gifted!

The first thing I noticed was that it came with a recipe book, it was a nice surprise. Half the book is in French. It has a lot of recipes; a lot of it I won't make, but some items I'm going to try, just for the heck of it! Which leads me to my first recipe. Cuisinart's Cookies & Cream Milkshake! Boy is it yummy! It's 100% worth a try and very easy to make with only 3 ingredients.

I needed to make some insecticidal soap. Water, garlic and chili pepper flakes! After letting the blended mixture sit for 4 hours, I used cheese cloth to strain it out. The concentrate it makes, made the inside of the jar stink afterwards! There's a cleaning cycle on the machine, 45 sec and all nasty smells seem to disappear. What you're left with is some super froathy suds! And a lovely scent if you used something scented.

The true test was making fruit smoothies. It was something Montel had yet to master, and sadly he wasn't going to. There's a function for 'green' and 'fruit' smoothies. Within 6 seconds, this machine had already destroyed all chunks of ice. I was in true awe! The 'fruit' function is 45 sec and it felt like overkill!

Montel gave me such a hard time! I'd have to turn it off and move the contents around at least 4-6 times before anything got blended. Can you imagine my joy when I didn't have to do any extra work?! Ridiculous!

The first thing that came out of my husband's mouth, "It's worth what they charge, I would pay for this!" Coming from him, this is a shock as he hates spending money on anything! Don't we all?

I actually haven't had a need for the turbo button, that's pretty awesome. It's all powerful, all on it's own! This is one beast I look forward to taming, I can't wait to continue to test it's limits! I might even try a bread recipe next. Also! It has a 'runtime' feature on it. Montel never told me the amount of time I was actually blending! This is such a helpful feature, who would have thought?

I highly recommend this, it's perfection in a box. If you're concerned about the cost, don't be. You won't be disappointed. I hope this helps!
Comment Comment | Permalink

VIZIO D50u-D1 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED Smart TV (2016 Model)
VIZIO D50u-D1 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED Smart TV (2016 Model)
Price: CDN$ 779.99
5 used & new from CDN$ 779.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Super value, watch out for those angles!, June 19 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (what's this)
For the last month, I've been enjoying this Vizio 50" 4K smart TV. I wanted to thoroughly test it, I've only heard horror (lagging) stories when it comes to 4K TV's. Here's how my personal experience went.

Before the TV arrived, I had already decided to switch out my (2012) 55LM6400 LG TV in our family room for the Vizio. I wanted to get a good feel for the TV, in most or all scenario's.

The physical appearance of this unit is nice; it has a thin profile and sleek black edges. While moving the unit (and being very careful), the screen came away from the frame in a top corner. Oops! that's not supposed to happen... I'm not sure if this is just my unit, but it's something to watch for and be cautious about. After moving the TV and turning it on, it appeared to have no adverse effects from it.

The remote is handy; I like the Netflix button because I subscribe to it. Overall I do wish they had invested a little more cash into the remote. The buttons feel cheap, but they do work! Which is what counts in the end. I don't think I'll have an issue, it's only used by adults.

Turning the TV on and setting it up was easy, the hard part was remembering my WiFi password! I have an AC dual bandwidth router. I set it up on my 5GHz band. There's far too many 2.4GHz signals around my home, but no one has 5GHz running. The signal for 5GHz is pretty decent. All of my electronics have a bad signal while I'm in my bedroom, but this TV gets a moderate signal. It's definitely better then my handheld devices & WiFi Blu-ray player.

The only app that I use is Netflix. It plays everything smoothly, no lag or stutter. I also love that the app mirrors the PlayStation app for Netflix. It's smooth running, easy to look at & use. Most of the apps are US based; sadly the app selection for Canadians is lacking. I tried using Yahoo News but it never works, it usually just gives me errors.

The general settings were easy to play with. I like the fact that I can totally turn off the TV's speakers in the audio settings. So regardless of you clicking volume up or down, the TV will tell you the speakers are off. This is a handy feature if you're using an external speaker system. I also like that I can name each connection on the TV, that way when I'm flipping through the inputs, I actually don't have to memorize which HDMI port the PS4 is connected to (as an example) You have to play with the settings, as you do with all new TVs. It can be frustrating, but you'll get your 'right picture'. It actually took me a few days of watching and tweaking before I found what I liked. Which leads me to...

The picture, it's fantastic! The blacks are nice and deep and the details are very crisp. However, if the screen is viewed on too much of an angle (right or left side), everything goes bright white and you can't see everything clearly anymore. It occurred to me, I could have this issue because of MY 'right picture' settings. I took the time to read other online reviews for this TV; there are reports of weird viewing angles. Not many, but definitely a few. When I had several people gathered in my family room (during my testing time), they all noticed it and weren't happy. I live in a long narrow home, so most viewing is on angles. Especially if I want to view the TV from my kitchen. I've provided a photo of netflix, straight on and from an angle. The brightness isn't so bad, but when watching sports outside? Brutal! I've never had this issue on my LG. I really don't want to change my settings; to see if the settings are the issue. It took (what felt like) forever to finally find what I liked! (looking at it straight on) I provided a face on and side angle of Netflix to show some of the effect.

When 4K TVs started showing up, I remember reading reports of lag with sports and video games. One thing I can say is, I haven't noticed that with this TV. The game's I tested were all single player. In both sports and gaming, this TV preforms very well.

Tested the screen with:
Sports (in general, we watch them all)
Everyday Satellite TV
Uncharted 4: A thief's end (PS4)
Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4)
Assassins Creed II (PS3)
Netflix (through TV app)
Antenna

I decided to get a wall mount. It's going in my bedroom for the long haul, and I really wanted to free up space on the top of my dresser. I also wanted to see it clearly from all angles. I had hoped that the screws for the legs would also fit the VESA screw holes. Nope :( They're to skinny & to long. This Vizio 50" TV is VESA 200x200. And you'll need M6x20 sized screws. I tried M6x25 screws, but they were a little too long.

Over all this TV is a fantastic value. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you have a full motion mount to suit your surroundings/settings! I hope this helps!

UPDATE July 13:
I just installed an indoor amplified antenna on this. I live in Alliston ON, surrounded by farm land and I wanted to take full advantage of the TV! It's working great and set up was very simple. I only got one channel, CTV two Barrie which is great, it broadcasts in 1080i and looks beautiful. I have this channel with my satellite subscription but not in HD. I'm loving it so far!

Rubbermaid 1784455 FastTrack Compact Hanging Hook
Rubbermaid 1784455 FastTrack Compact Hanging Hook
Price: CDN$ 7.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for recycling bins, June 7 2016
I just painted and organized my garage. I picked up the fast track system to help me in this quest. I wanted to get a couple of my recycling bins off the floor and on the wall, they were taking up precious floor space!

I was actually worried these wouldn't stay in place. They don't have clips like the larger hooks have. I decided to try them out anyway, and I was pleasantly surprised that they do click in place. Thank goodness! Anyway here's how it worked out!

Highly recommended, I hope this helps!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Whitmor 6046-13 Supreme Garment Care Collection Over the Door Shoe Organizer, Clear
Price: CDN$ 17.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for garage storage!, June 7 2016
When I started cleaning up and painting inside my garage, I knew I needed one of these to hold odds and ends. I chose the clear vinyl so that if a mess is made, it's easy to clean. If I need to find something, it's easy to see. When I put it up my spouse was so happy, a place for everything! As you can see, I used wood screws and screwed it directly into the wall. It works great!

Highly recommended!

Crawford Prod Div of Jarden Safety 1851A 47-Piece Peg Hook, Assorted
Crawford Prod Div of Jarden Safety 1851A 47-Piece Peg Hook, Assorted
Price: CDN$ 8.69
12 used & new from CDN$ 5.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for hanging smaller items, June 7 2016
For what it is, it's great. I can't use the clips on my board, there isn't enough of a grip for it to hold. I heard of others heating them up and bending them better. I'll have to see if it's worth the effort! As you can see the packaging took some abuse. Not sure when that happened! I'm using these with some heavier duty hooks. But I've supplied photos so you can see exactly what you get.

Hopefully this helps

Seville Classics UDHF20335 UltraHD 24-Inch X 48-Inch Steel Pegboard Set
Seville Classics UDHF20335 UltraHD 24-Inch X 48-Inch Steel Pegboard Set
Price: CDN$ 65.39
5 used & new from CDN$ 65.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended with caution!, June 7 2016
I've been wanting to clean up the garage for several years. I live in a 4 year old home and I wanted to better protect my investment. So I painted the walls and organized! I needed a place for my tools and after configuring my shelf, I found this product to be best suited for the space.

It arrived nicely packaged. The cardboard was fairly thick. Opening it up, I was pleasantly surprised that the hooks included were nice and thick, definitely heavy duty. I was very happy that I ordered a wider variety of hooks from another manufacturer, these are heavy duty but they're not good for smaller items.

The boards themselves are nice and sturdy. One thing that caught my eye; there were more then a few paint chips right out of the box on both boards. It's nothing major, but I was wanting to install it upon opening and didn't want to go through an exchange. I hope that decision doesn't bite me later!

Install was simple, my walls are uneven in the garage so perfect placement was sort of out of my reach. As you can see they line up together nicely but there's a small gap between them. This made using the two together impossible; the hooks simply can't reach that far. This was when I realized one of the larger hooks included was bent. I was not happy...but because of my silly walls, this bent hook fit in the middle. It's what's holding my hammers.

So it worked out, but it wasn't how it should have been. I do think this set is a great value, especially since local hardware stores sell one board for nearly the same price and zero accessories. But it's definitely not perfect. I would love it if Seville Classics sold the same heavy duty hooks but with smaller ends for smaller items, as well as selling the hooks included in this set, on their own in packages of 30 or something to purchase separately. I'd buy them! They're so worth it, they mostly stay in place compared to other brands.

Recommended with caution. Make sure you thoroughly look through the contents before installing, incase any of my issues come up. I hope this helps!
Comment Comment | Permalink

United Solutions CD0002 Mini Caddy Storage Basket in Taupe-Attractive Utility Tote Caddy Keeps Items Contained to Organize your Home
Price: CDN$ 5.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Garden Caddy, May 13 2016
I built a new vegetable garden this spring. I realized that I didn't want to go back and forth from the garage when I needed tools. So I went out and got an outdoor storage seat.

Inside the seat, I added an air tight container, but I wanted something where I could easily grab my tools for quick touch ups in the garden. I found this caddy, and I'm so glad I did!

As you can see, it fits all my items with a bit of room to spare.

I was skeptical about buying this because I wasn't aware of the measurements. So I've included those for any one wanting to purchase this going forward!

The bottom tappers a bit, so I have both measurements. All measurements are in inches.

Small compartment: 2"x3" top, 2"x2" bottom
Medium compartment: 5"x3" top, 4"x2" bottom
Large compartment: 8⅝"x3" top, 7"x2" bottom

Overall: 9"x9"
Side height: 4"
Height with handle: 7"

It appears that it will last a long time. Overall, the plastic is thick, accept for the handle. It's a bit thinner, but I don't forsee it breaking with regular use.

I'm happy with my purchase, I hope this helps!

Knape & Vogt QT20PB-WH Replacement Trash Can, 16 by 14.25 by 7.25-Inch
Knape & Vogt QT20PB-WH Replacement Trash Can, 16 by 14.25 by 7.25-Inch
Price: CDN$ 14.52
2 used & new from CDN$ 14.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my use!, April 14 2016
In the fall, I set out to change my cleaning habits. I decided I hated tossing paper towels in the trash. Quite literally, I was throwing my money away. So I went cold turkey and bought a lot of bar mop towels.

I needed a container to hold the dirty ones. A container that was slim enough and tall enough to fit in my odd shaped space, and I [finally] found this.

As you can see, I used my drill to make air holes on the sides of the container. That along with a mesh bag, makes sure that there's plenty of air flow. I do 1-2 loads [of laundry] of towels a week so it never sits for long.

This trash can is very thick/durable. It's built to last! It took a considerable amount of force to drill through it. It's easy to clean and the dimensions are correct.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I hope this helps
Comment Comment | Permalink

InterDesign Linus Stackable Single Serve Coffee Pod Holder with Lid for Kitchen Pantry, Countertops - 2-Tier, Holds 29 Capsules, Clear
Price: CDN$ 28.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic way to see what you have!, Jan. 21 2016
I bought this because I purchase my cups from a K Cup store. They're all sold individually, making a big mess in my drawer. I needed to have a better system for my overflow cups, and I think I've found it!

All my cups fit, with the acception of bigger packaging like McCafe cups. I'm thinking I might take them out of their packages and place the inside cup in the organizer. Not sure if that will effect the taste though. So I will see hah

The reason why I docked a star is because I don't fully trust the hinge on this. It's plastic too and doesn't seem ultra sturdy. Be careful when opening this bad boy! It's still holding strong, so my advice is, don't be aggressive with this and you should be fine!

Overall, recommended!