Reviewed in Canada on February 3, 2014
This book was recommended to me by a wonderful therapist. I read "It's All About Power and Control" in one sitting. There is not a page of my well worn copy that is not circled, highlighted and annotated, stained with tears. Norman Quantz explains with crystal clarity, the mind and tactics of the emotional abuser, and helps to explain the vulnerabilities of the victim. What is insidious about emotional abuse, is its twisted and subtle nature. For years, I had wondered if I was crazy. Every time I left a conversation with my husband, I was confused and discouraged. Something was terribly wrong, and I couldn't put my finger on it. This book was profoundly liberating, as I recognized myself and my abuser, and was able, finally, to become angry enough about the injustice, selfishness and manipulation to finally take action. When I would lose courage, and doubt myself, and question my own instincts and perceptions (all the result of the manipulation and twisting of reality that is the particular talent of the emotional abuser), I would re-read this book and recognize the patterns once again.
The writing is at times unpolished. However, that shouldn't cause the reader to doubt the credibility of the writer. Norman Quantz may be relatively unknown, but his insights are brilliant. 5 stars!
One person found this helpful
Report abuse Permalink