Reviewed in Canada on June 27, 2017
I was not sure whether I wanted to read Cave Ravens from The Lethal Believers Series ... paranormal is not my typical read ... but I quickly learned the storytelling of G Mitchell Baker is definitely not what I consider 'typical' paranormal!

The author, G. Mitchell Baker (G.M. Baker) brings together an imperfect team of paranormal persona (Emerine, Pauline), Greek myths (Lamia, Hesiod) and a noir-like protagonist named Malachi Danta-Mercadel, a retired Interpol Agent now semi retired as a small town deputy in a resort community. From what I can tell from reading this third novel first (three novel series), Danta has always been productively obsessed with taking on Mantid Tranquil, and, to battle the amorphous organization to protect The Innocents, be they children, animals, or those who cannot defend themselves (the vulnerable).

I particularly like the interaction of the noir-like Danta character, with the Greek Myths (Hesiod and Lamia) who joined him to not only protect the Innocents (in this book addicts and those the subject of abuse from trusted figures), but to continue their efforts to rehabilitate Lamia's mythology previously distorted and ruined by the British poet John Keats (a bit of true literary history here ... the author brilliantly worked this into the fiction)(I told you this was not typical paranormal).

I have to tell you ... this writing is intelligent and I could not anticipate (as I usually can) ... frankly, given the strong theme of social conscience, this read was so original and unique I would not characterize it as only 'paranormal'. There is a lot of story here and the paranormal storytelling appears used by Baker to create from the largest imagination/storytelling pallet possible. In The Cave Ravens there is tension, action ... incredible scenes in multi-dimension ... I enjoyed it all ... and, strangely, very strangely, it all seemed plausible.

I have already set my sights on reading D.V.M., the second in the Series (I guess I'll go backwards) ... If it is anything like this read, I shall not be suggesting paranormal reads are not my cup of tea any longer. It took an extremely talented writer to create ... to master this story ... I look forward to a consideration of D.V.M. ... and then the entire Lethal Believer Series.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink