Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home All-New Kindle Oasis tools

Customer reviews

on October 27, 2017
Super awesome book for me! Forget the kids!
on July 10, 2004
Few books can compare to "The Way Things Work" in the amount which they can teach the curious. Be they old or young, college educated engineers or preschoolers, everyone can pick something out of this book. Trust me; I've seen it from all ends.
When I was six, I loved the mammoths...and learned about simple machines and airplane wings. When I was in high school, I appreciated the mammoths' wit...and learned about automatic transmissions and transistors. Now that I'm in college, I've read the whole thing, and it's still a great reference book, just as entertaining and informative as it was so many years ago. And the mammoths are still funny.
For kids with insatiable curiosity, "The Way Things Work" can be a great and entertaining resource; for everyone who's ever wondered how their car drives, or why their computer works, or how satellite communications happen, it can be an immensely satisfying read.
on July 8, 2002
My god, this has to be one of my favorite books. When I was a kid, I was FASCINATED (well, I still am) by mechanical things. I must have checked this book out of the library twenty times, and it never got old. It is PACKED with info, the drawings are great, and it is very educational. Well, I was at the library today checking out books for a mechanical engineering class, and there it was on the shelf. I checked it out again for old times sake, and here I am at Amazon.com (to buy my very own copy of course), writing a reveiew. Nuff said. Anyway, if you have a child, boy or girl, old or young, smart or not, it doesn't matter- this book ROCKS!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 9, 2012
From levers to lasers, windmills to web sites, this book is definitively a visual guide to the world of machines. Illustrated by non other than David Macaulay, your child will explore how things work and get an understanding on how the day-to-day items in their life can work the way they do.

The book is divided in five sections:
Mechanics of movement will introduce your child to the inclined plane, levers, wheel, axle, gears, belts, cams, cranks, pulleys, screws, rotating wheels, springs and friction.
Harnessing the elements will give detailed explanation to anything that floats or fly, the pressure power, how to exploit heat and a nuclear plant.
Working with waves will give information on light, images, photography, printing, sound and music as well as telecommunications.
Electricity & automation will cover items that requires electricity, magnetism as well as sensors and detectors.
The digital domain will cover anything from bits and bytes to computers and the tools you now use on a regular basis everywhere.
The invention of machines is a section that will give your historical information about various inventions we now use daily.

Though I find the book might be a little overwhelming for a child who doesn't master reading, this book is packed with interesting information. As I was flipping the pages of the book, I arrived to a page about the toilet tank. As I read it, my oldest son was immediately interested and grabbed the book when I was done.

This book is a good reference for anyone who wants to know how things work. You could have it on your shelf and then suddenly the book is found in the living room opened to a specific page. This book could also be used for a research on a specific item for a better understanding as well as to see the illustration illustration how it works. I wish there were a page on the snowmobile but unfortunately it isn't the case. The illustrations help to better understand and sometimes they will make you chuckle or smile. I believe in learning using the various senses we have - this book will definitively enhanced the visual part of learning simply because of the illustrations.

If your child is curious on how things works and he/she wants to understand more about these kind of things, The New Way Things Work is a fabulous book to have at home.
on December 11, 1999
Do you think you know how a lot of things work? Yes? Well, you are probably wrong. I am a Physics Major in college and I thought I knew how a lot of things work. However, when I found this book in my physics professor's office, I fell in love with this book. I ordered for my copy on the same day. This book is good for the kids, but some of the stuff is hard to understand because there are some words like forces or angles. These are hard to understand for kids, but the pictures in this book are good for the curious kids. They may understand some of the stuff. But, I would rate this book for grownups. You will learn how locks work, how airplanes fly, how helicopters can go forward or backward. You will understand the mechanics just by looking at the pictures, but the reading the explanations also helps you understand. This is a nice book to keep at the corner of your bookshelf.
on December 9, 2001
If you have a child with 10,000,000 questions on how things work, buy this book! This explains it better than any book I have found on the subject. It has even enlightened me. For more, buy the book titled HOW DO THEY DO THAT? by Caroline Sutton. This author has a series of books.
on September 24, 2001
I have a very inquisitive daughter. Enough to have me pulling my hair out! I bought this book to keep me sane. This book should be on your child's bookshelf. It is loaded with answers to your child's most typical questions on how things work. A great book!
on November 28, 2015
I bought this book for my kid's birthday present. My kids like it very much. But when I opened the package, I found the book's cover was broken. A little disappointed. Anyway, as a book, it's interesting after all.
review image
on April 6, 2014
My boys have thoroughly enjoyed pouring through this book. They are both the type of kids that want to see how things work and take stuff apart. Now my door knobs and clocks are being left alone as they read this book instead. My 10 yo was even taking it with him to keep reading everywhere we went.
It complements a beginning physics course as well for homeschoolers.
on July 16, 2000
This book is an excellant gift for a curious elementary aged child. This book easily explains the way many common household items work with the author's use of his great illistrations. Many adults can also learn about how things work from this book. All in all, I think this book is the perfect girt for a curious child or the curious adult.