countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 20, 2015
This is one of the wildest and most fascinating books I've ever read--in a lifetime spent mostly with my nose inside one book or another. Better yet, it's true! I won't go into the details of the life Walls and her family lived, but I want to say that I simply couldn't put this down. Written in a manner that shows her generosity and love for her increasingly dysfunctional family, it's got pride of place in my library, along with other books I'll take with me to my last days. What a journey!
on March 21, 2016
This book is beyond incredible... the author's story of her life growing up is so vivid and incredible. I promise you won't be able to put this book down! It is a really fast and easy read but it's such a fulfilling read! You must read this book; it's written for any audience and you won't be disappointed.
on September 2, 2015
A beautiful thought provoking book about a child's survival and ultimately moving beyond parental neglect and abuse. It is written from the child's perspective, innocent of knowing her experiences are neglectful, this is the only life she has known her parents to her are loving. though the subject matter is heavy it is not depressing. It highlights the importance of the need for teachers, doctors and neighbours to advocate for children and give them a voice when they don't have one.
On following up on the three children in the story the situation affects them each in a different way. Everyone has a story that is unseen and this book reminds me to be non-judgmental and kind to others for I have not walked their journey.
on August 6, 2007
I have always enjoyed memoirs and have read several that were quite memorable, but "The Glass Castle" tops them all. I started the book in the afternoon and had it finished within a few hours because I simply could not put it down for any length of time. Besides having led an extraordinary life, Jeannette Walls has an impeccable way with words. She evoked frustration, shock, joy, and anger in me through recounting the often bizarre circumstances of her past, but she never evokes or encourages pity at any time throughout the book. I felt satisfied when I came to the end of "The Glass Castle", which doesn't happen very often and is a real treat. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read, regardless of whether or not you enjoy memoirs.
on February 6, 2016
Couldn't put it down. I thought our family might have been dysfunctional but wow! this family takes the cake. I'll read anything Jeannette Walls writes as she has now become my new favourite writer.
on January 22, 2007
I started to read this book, and I just couldn't put it down. Jeannette Walls is one of those rare storytellers where you feel as if you are right there experiencing everything with her. It is an enthralling read, and the worst thing about it is how it draws you in so much that you want to do little else but sit there until you reach the very last page. I highly reccomend this novel!
on April 9, 2015
Great book. I read it after North of Normal (see my review of that) because the author of North of Normal wrote her book after reading The Glass Castle. Truly amazing memoir that really shows just how resilient kids are even in the face of some of the most useless parenting you're likely to read about. The parents in this story truly infuriated me but without them there is no story so it is what it is. I highly recommend this book and North of Normal.
on December 23, 2012
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It is about 8 months later, after reading the book, and I still think about the story of this family. It is an easy read and I continue to wish for more. I don't think you will regret reading this book, not only because of the fascinating people she writes about, but I am sure some people can relate to it and it is easy to get wrapped up in this book.
on July 11, 2007
Of the three incredibly entertaining and uplifting reads I've recently come across, THE GLASS CASTLE was by far the best. Second place goes to MIDDLESEX by Eugenides and third to BARK OF THE DOGWOOD. I enjoyed reading in GLASS CASTLE about the child's father, as a good man. He bought new bicycles for his children and took them to the zoo. He also developed a love of learning in his children. Wells writes very vividly about what it felt like sleeping in cardboard boxes, looking though trash cans and dumpsters for food and eating nothing but popcorn for many days. She also lived in a house with no electricity or indoor plumbing. She developed a sense of resourcefulness of being so poor. She made her own set of braces to straighten out of coat hangers and rubber bands. She also took a job at the age of 13 at a jewerly store to help make ends meet. Wells discovers a love of journalism in high school which became one of the turning points in her life. Her love of writing led to a career as a journalist in New York City. Jeannette Walls has worked hard to achieve the life she now has. The Glass Castle is a touching, inspirational, entertaining memoir of a courageous successful woman, but try it for yourself! Also highly recommended: MIDDLESEX by Eugenides and WHITE OLEANDER.
on August 26, 2007
This book will keep you suprised over and over again. Just when you think you've read all the crazy things Jeanette Walls throws in some more! A good little book that is great to remind oneself about what is and isn't important in one's life. Will get you thinkin'!