countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care home Kindle sports Tools

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 23, 2017
parfait
on August 16, 2017
Great book. Very helpful.
on November 20, 2006
I just wish that I had this book when I went through my 1st reno. Mike's advice is so straight forward, well thought out, and jam packed with valuable advice that could save you thousands of dollars and many headaches!! Reading this book is like having Mike's hand on your shoulder guiding you through your renovation.

Thanks Mike!
on December 10, 2006
This is an excellent book for anyone thinking about doing a reno or even building a new home. The book is jam packed with ways to make sure you pick the right general contractor, how much the project should cost on average, and how much time the project should take. Mike also makes many recommendations on what types of building materials and finishes you should use for each type of project and if you will need a permit for that project. I know this book will help me when I start building my new home. If you liked this book I would also recommend checking out the "Holmes on Homes" TV series on DVD from which some of the pictures in the book came from. Keep up the good work Mike!!

Jeff
on February 17, 2008
Mike Holmes - my hero?

This is a book is a no-nonsense guide for homeowners.

It covers all the basics like how to find a reliable contractor, building codes, new materials and techniques

The book goes into detail about renovating kitchens, bathrooms, basements and additions. I found the checklists and photographs are a big help too.

The more you know as a home owner the better it is for all us pros too.
Get informed with mike.
on March 31, 2010
Thank you Mike Holmes for writing such an exceptional book. I haven't read the whole book yet, but the parts I've read have been real eye openers. I'm remodeling and hoping to build my own home in the near future and already I have learned the correct techniques for doing a job once and doing it right. Exceptional book!!!
on March 19, 2009
Mike Holmes really does help you "make it right". He explains why some methods work and others don't when you are renovating. His instructions are very easy to follow and understand.
on August 19, 2016
I really didn't like this book. The author believes he knows more than anyone else and that his way is the only way. The introduction is a self boasting record of what an awesome contractor he is, and it goes downhill from there. I stopped reading the book when he said that you should not hire an engineer or an architect because "they are mainly book people". He goes on to say "You'll usually find that if you hire and architect or an engineer first, they'll draw up plans; then a contractor will look at your house and at those plans and say 'This doesn't work - we're going to have to make changes'"
I find it wrong on many levels. First he assumes that engineers and architects don't know how to do their work. It's a wonder that they manage to ever build any bridges or skyscraper! Then he assumes, like he does throughout the book, that contractors, or pros, as he calls them, are all-knowing. He also spends a whole chapter telling you how to select a good contractor but he tells you nothing of the engineer or architect, he just assumes that they will be incompetent or, if they are hired by the contractor, maybe they will be competent. I am not even kidding.
Another thing: if you want to DIY, none of his books is for you, he is very much against that.
I find him to be a blowhard, self promoting redneck and that's just not for me.
on February 29, 2016
This book has some practical advice you won't find elsewhere, since it is based on a lot of actual experience. I finished my basement in a manner similar to what he advised here. Styrofoam against the concrete, which makes the vapour barrier, then a stud wall inside of it, which you insulate with rock wool. Drywall with fiberglass facings. The only things that I changed was to use blue wood studs instead of regular and I used polyethylene under-padding for carpet instead of lining the floor with styrofoam and wood. Basements flood eventually, so I wanted something I could rip out and toss when that happens. Also, a basement that's too well insulated can lead to footings of the foundation freezing.

Anything that supports mold and rot, he's against and he points out materials that you can buy to avoid creating a problem later. All in all worth reading.
on December 5, 2014
I've been re-reading this book lately and Mike is dead-on right. I've been renovating and building for over 30 years and things will go wrong. But you can reduce many of the common problems by applying his advice. Yes, much of it is common sense. But you know what the problem is with common sense....Most of the time, you will avoid big troubles if you follow Mikes book. Like Mike says, good contractors want to properly document and explain things. Most of the time, by far, problems occur because of a lack of one of these two important steps. Here is a tip: If your contractor bad mouths Mike, move on. We may not always have the resources to work with that he does, but our goal, as contractors, should always be to provide a safe and very high quality service.
I just can't imagine a GOOD contractor NOT liking this book.