Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store fd18 Tools

Customer reviews

Clara Callan
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on December 17, 2017
Book was well written and interesting information about the 1930's. It was recommended as a book club selection and I did not think I would enjoy the letter format (had read another similar book and did not enjoy reading it) - I did enjoy this one.

Other books I recently ordered are again for book club selections and will be read over the next number of months.

Always enjoy Andre Rieu music.
on June 2, 2017
Liked the way of it being more of a diary or a journal instead of a narrative. Could not put the book down till the last page. Felt the end was hastened but I cannot think of a better way to have winded it.
Enjoyed reading every bit.
on March 24, 2017
While missing a few nuances of female characters, the author does capture the lives of two women and depicts the emotional struggles of relationships between vulnerable women and manipulative/aggressive men
on October 4, 2016
Yes, I enjoyed Clara Callan very much. In the beginning my feeling was that Richard Wright was being presumptuous taking on speaking through the voices of women but soon realized he could make it work and I just continued to read with pleasure. Marjorie Smeaton
on December 27, 2015
Loved this book! I found it just by accident, had never heard of it or the author before, will have to read more of his.
on July 2, 2013
The main character is so hum drum, and ends up to be a hoot!
It shows how the folk in that era lived, worked and played.
on March 23, 2017
Loved the era the book depicts...could remember so many experiences from my youth.
on February 20, 2013
This was a very easy read and I enjoyed it as a change. I would recommend it to some of my friends who only read at night and don't like anything upsetting or violent. Nice story of everyday lives of sisters.
on April 27, 2016
An intriguing novel.
on November 11, 2011
This was my first time reading this author, and I enjoyed his writing style of written letters between the characters, as well as the main character Claras diary entries. The book is written in 3 parts all taking place in the late 1930's.
The best part of this book was comparing all forms of communication as they were then between how they are now.
This author writes historical fiction very well, and his writing is also very thought provoking. The story of these 2 sisters just flows into a great blend of tragic events, comedy, love, awakening, and secrets. Exactly like real life. It was a very entertaining read from start to finish.