countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout home All-New Kindle sports tools

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on December 31, 2012
I have heard many positive comments of this book and I approached it, expecting it to be brilliant. I have read the Lord of the Rings and I found the writings of Tolkien much easier to read and to keep engaged than this book. The topics within this book are very good and offer a good insight into Christianity and the sins that humanity is plagued with; however I found the first part of this book very difficult for me to keep focused on and the flow was very different for me to grasp.
on December 28, 2003
Overall a well written book that does however start to get a bit tedious. A reply from Wormwood or correspondence with other demons might have livened up the book. Words about the war and hinting of inderlying problems between Screwtape and his nephew went nowhere. I was hoping for a level twist like that in the story "Flowers for Algenon".
on January 3, 2002
I love C.S. Lewis and I think this is an important subject. However, I was disappointed with the concept. Why does Christianity continue to point fingers at the Devil and/or demons?
Lewis uses an interesting format (letters written from a ficitious demon named Screwtape to his aspiring nephew Wormwood) to convey an important message, namely temptation. Christians must be very aware of temptations that confront them in everyday life, and Lewis does his usual, masterful job of inserting wit and humor into a very serious subject. He provides many useful insights into temptation and often helps the Christian see why things are not always what they seem at first glance.
That being said, I'm frustrated with Christianity's repeatedly blaming Satan and his demons for our own sins. The Bible teaches us that "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked." Man is wicked enough on his own to fall head first into a horrendous life of sin. We need no assistence from the evil one. Maybe I'm reading too much into Lewis' work, but in today's church, when angels and demons seem all the rage, I think many may miss this message's true intent.