Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

on March 27, 2013
I really enjoyed the book. Whether it is 100 years of Buenida family history spread over 500 pages, it flows very nicely. It's a page turner of a book, as you pass from one generation to another in a haze of names that keep repeating.

Solitude is a metaphor, for melancholy, seclusion, mental illness, and many more similar feelings. Everybody goes through some dose of solitude through life, and it's nice to be able to reflect through Marquez's characters. What is interesting for me though is that most of the characters would be committed into instructions or jailed in our modern societies. However, with all their idiosyncrasies, obsessive-compulsiveness, and plain madness, they all managed to go through their existences long before the advent of mind-numbing medications.

Life was sure simpler, and far more entertaining back in this era. I would recommend this book, to anybody who wants to expand their literary horizons, and their understanding of some dark corners of human nature.

I can only hope that Marquez is spending the last days of his life at peace with his solitude...
One person found this helpful
on February 16, 2012
I first read this book in my early teens. At that time I was enthralled. It is a complete epic. Beautiful, with many lessons for our current times too - esp in the last lines. When I re-read the book, while the magic of my first reading is gone, the last lines still give me that ah to hmmm feeling. Since the first book that I owned I have bought it for numerous friends. It should be essential reading for all in schools. Whether you like it or not, it is a complete novel and covers so many aspects of humanity. Must read.
On another note, I especially visited Baracoa, the place that Macondo is claimed to be modelled on. Dont know if that claim is true, or whether it was my imagination, but it did feel a wee bit eerie being there.
2 people found this helpful
on April 25, 2013
Being from Venezuela originally, this novel was a compulsory read in High School. Back then I hated it and never even got to read half of it. 30 years later, I just reconciled with Gabriel García Marquez and read the whole novel. To my amazement, it is a beautiful novel, despite of the tragic ending. It actually portraits the Latin American way of thinking in a very real way, despite of using Magic Realism from beginning to end.
on April 7, 2017
Excellent magical realism novel of the highest quality!
on October 20, 2014
Excellent Nobel Prize author, my daughter is enjoying a bit of Latin literature. She wants to widen her knowledge.

on June 15, 2014
Marquez is one of a series of South American writers and poets who can move a narrative in and out of time and space. His rich allegory and vivid metaphors involves the reader in the dramatic tale woven in the fine language of a craftsman who knows to use words as sharpened tools.
on April 9, 2016
This product was received in good quality from supplier within the expected time, so I am very happy with it.
on February 26, 2018
great product
on February 12, 2016
The book I received is very small in size, like a pocket size, Picador edition. Not shown on the advertized book, not the cover page picture you see on here. I don't understand why they just don't put the real picture and details and let people decide what to buy!.
on January 1, 2017