countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on January 11, 2015
Zinsser leads you through his thought process in achieving simplicity, clarity and humanity while expressing your own voice, your own writing style. His dry humor makes this an enjoyable read for every aspiring non-fiction writer.
on April 14, 2017
hope to improve my writing skills
on May 27, 2017
Wonderful! Best book I've ever read on writing. Great examples with thorough explanations. Enjoyed it immensely.
on February 8, 2010
As noted by other reviewers, the book lacks a lot on instructions but deserves considerable merit for its illustrative content.

The book contains many excerpts from known and respected authors. While these examples are good and can put you in the 'write' frame of mind, I was expecting more, much more, in terms of intructionnal content and format,perhaps somethink like "Keys to Great Writing" by Stephen Wilbers.

For those of you who are looking for instructions per se, "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk and E.B. White; and "Keys to Great Writing" are much better choices,in my view.
on June 24, 2001
With three sentences, William Zinsser became my new hero:
"Many of us were taught that no sentence should begin with "but." If that's what you learned, unlearn it - there's no stronger word at the start. It announces a total contrast with what has gone before, and the reader is thereby primed for the change."
In my years as a freelance writer, no single word has been the cause of as many arguments with inexperienced editors and know-it-all clients as the tiny "but." Finally, I hold in my hands the opinion of a recognized authority (one who has served on the usage panel of "The American Heritage Dictionary") who can put an end to this quibbling.
But this isn't all that recommends this book. "On Writing Well" is possibly the best-written, most-accessible coverage of effective nonfiction writing that I have ever seen. The shelves of most writers (including my own) and many bookstores are filled with how-to books on writing. Most of these tend to be of the spiritual or advice-giving sort: helping writers overcome blocks, feeling good about a suspicious career choice, getting published and the like. At the opposite pole, many of the rest focus on the minutiae of arcane linguistic rules.
Zinsser takes on writing. In 300 pages (which in themselves serve as an admirable example of effective prose) he tackles a broad range of subjects such as style, tone, word usage, structure, and unity, and applies these principles to various forms of nonfiction writing: the interview, the travel article, the memoir, etc.
A breath of fresh air, this. The author finds the practical middle ground between the bubbly motivational and dry-as-dirt grammar books that so many of us find ourselves reading when we're not writing. No small wonder that this book has gone through numerous editions since it was first published - it is an invaluable tool.
Take down your bookshelves and put up a framed portrait of Mr. Zinsser. This is one of the few books you'll actually need (and re-read) on your way to becoming a better writer.
on June 19, 2017
I'm very satisfied with this products. it works verywell. arrived before expected, love them that is what you have been looking for I'm VERY happy with my purchase and bought another set! I am very happy I picked this brand I would recommend these to anyone!
on May 12, 2000
I am a reporter on a small town weekly and bought this book - along with several others - as a refresher course. I would recommend it to anyone who writes for a living, because Zinsser writes so well, teaches so well and gives such good examples. Although he's writing about assignments that people like me can only dream about, I have found that his guidance has stayed with me and is applicable to everyday newspaper work. I particularly liked his emphasis on avoiding abstractions in leads, and his willingness for journalism to be entertaining. Moreover, it's a very readable book. I will never forget the story about going to Timbuktoo.
on August 12, 2013
Beautiful and eloquently written by Zinsser. His descriptions are largely based on his own writings and experiences. An informative read for non fiction writers in particular.
on May 22, 2017
Everything with this product is perfect. These are so great! love it . i receive it very fast. i love it so much,
on May 16, 2017
Simple writing skills delivered for any writer :-)