countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty Home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on July 14, 2011
Neff showed authenticity in writing this book as each chapter includes her own personal story. She talks about the three premises of being self-compassionate: (1) being kind towards oneself during painful experiences; (2) seeing one's experiences as part of the larger human experience; & (3) creating a balanced awareness between painful thoughts (ie., the mind) and feelings (i.e., the heart). From a Human Resources perspective, self-compassion can be taught to employees and could result to more positive emotions (like enthusiasm, interest, inspiration and excitement). All these will contribute to productivity.
on December 30, 2016
This is an excellent book as an introduction to the concept of Self Compassion. I have read and researched a lot around the idea of self esteem, however the concepts of self compassion breathes new life and perspective into caring for oneself. I also use this concept in my professional life more than I use self esteem building techniques. There are lots of the authors personal examples, exercise suggestions to make it real, and the format is quite easy to read and enjoy. I also read this book alongside doing the CourageWorks course on Self Compassion with Brené Brown and Kristin Neff. Highly recommend doing both together.
on July 27, 2016
this book really changed my life.

having battled depression 4 times in my life, and having gotten 'stuck' on all the solutions that have not worked, like
- pure mindfulness methods; ACT
- CBT or some derivative of
- purely therapist-based therapies that help with emotions

...none of these really did the 'trick'. sadly (or happily), this book is at the end of a long list of reading i have done over 20 years to help myself figure out 'whats wrong with me', having never bought into the pill-based-nature-over-nuture explanation given by the medical community.

In short, we did not receive the emotional care we needed as children (oddly, boys may suffer more than girls, but maybe not!)
we all need this care from our parents. But THOSE BOOKS have been published already..

...what this book has done for me is:
i) give me ways i can apply every 1-3 hours or so, daily, that i may 'love and care for myself', 'in vivo'. on the fly. this has had HUGE impacts on my ability to work, plan, my self esteem, and of course, since emotional resiliency is a true measure of success (donald trump might not figure everything out but he is resilient- okay bad example)... essentially, i am able to live up to my intellectual potential by healing the emotional side.

ii) has allowed me to use mindfulness in a way that ACTUALLY WORKS - i have done the programs by kaban zinn, ACT, etc., what mindfulness really does is to give us the chance to track whats happening so we can apply the right care to ourselves. this is utterly missing in all the mindfulness stuff elsewhere, or at least it is poorly applied (it may be an issue of diversity in self care - this book provides several techniques and i apply 5 of them several times per day).
...so i dont have to 'track my thoughts in the present moment' and expect some healing to happen; i can instead track my thoughts and pain in the present moment to get myself past an immediate issue, only to give myself 'in vivo' self care, at a moment that becomes available (privacy is important).

doing this, i have been able to apply all my goal-based strategies that have failed me all these years.. because i needed the self compassion component fixed (and didnt know it)

I love this book; it has changed things for me completely.
on April 19, 2014
This book changed my outlook on life. It is well written, not repetitive, it has research to back it up, and it has exercises that really work. It has helped me be more compassionate with myself about things I've been beating myself up over for years. I will keep reading this throughout my life to remind me of the lessons and help myself continue to be compassionate with myself and others.
on May 17, 2014
This book is a must read for anyone struggling with allowing self-compassion. The exercises are all very "doable" and have already helped me give myself some much needed compassion. I am about to read through a second time focusing on the exercises and the relaxation downloads. I have been off self-help books for quite some time but this one resonated with me and was exactly the book I needed to get me through a rough time,
on March 11, 2013
This has been the most rewarding and most interesting read for myself. I enjoy books that are based on research, I feel they offer the most effective and applicable insight, and this book was just that. I felt like it went deeper into various psychological concepts associated with the subject matter and offered better understanding as a result. Very highly recommended - my new favorite.
on April 20, 2016
Found it a bit boring and repetitious - probably because of my lack of interest in doing the exercises. The premise is a good one though. In today's environment, we are challenged and encouraged to be self critical to the point of being destructive to our personal sense of well being. This book challenges us to confront in a direct and positive way that inclination to do harm.

While only rating it three stars, it was due to the increasing repetition as the book struggled towards its end.
on October 19, 2014
This book is awesome!!! I already consider it my bible of self reassurance and gives me a renewed feeling that anything is possible. I think anyone will benefit from reading this book, even people who are already good to themselves.
on July 4, 2012
I ordered this book on the advice of my therapist and after checking out the web site and listening to a number of the self directed relaxation items, ordered the book. This book is a must for anyone who has self esteem issues. While it is never easy to change this book will help for sure.Self-Compassion: Stop Beating Yourself Up And Leave Insecurity Behind
on August 23, 2014
I found the general topic helpful. The book is very wordy and gets into Buddhism. It lost me after awhile.