Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Love_Simon Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

The Confession: An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$37.79+ Free shipping

on April 8, 2017
I enjoyed this book very much.Well written in that the story is plausible, keeps you interested and the Inspector is very likeable. Will definitely be looking for a second Inspector Rutledge book...
on March 8, 2017
Great story.
on February 3, 2016
Gripping yarn!
on May 3, 2012
First Sentence: the body rolled in the current gently, as if still alive.

It is not ever day Inspector Ian Rutledge has a man walk into his office at Scotland Yard and confess to a murder five years previous. The man is reluctant to provide details but Ian does learn he's from a village east of London. Still a murder confession is still a murder and Ian begins unofficially looking into the matter. Things take a turn when the confessor turn up murdered two weeks later. A gold locket leads Rutledge to a village in Essex where it is clear strangers are unwelcome. Far from a straight-forward murder, Ian must go into the past to solve crimes of the present.

Once again I find a book whose beginning contains a completely unnecessary and annoying portent. Even so, I found I was quickly drawn into the puzzle of both a man and a place. Something Todd does very well is provide background on Rutledge for new readers, but in a concise way so as not to bog down those who have been following the series.

I take exception to those who are tired of the Hamish-aspect of Rutledge. On the contrary, I believe it gives verisimilitude to the series and the period in which they are set. Post-traumatic stress was not yet known, yet shell-shock was, and usually treated as something one simply had to 'get over.' Seeing Rutledge struggle with it while do his job and try to appear 'normal,' is a fascinating element of Rutledge's character.

Having an author educate me, as well as entertain me, is something I admire. Todd informed me of a period and even the time and events which lead to it. The plot twists are very well executed and keep you off balance. The story within the story is fascinating. The one very slight negative I had was Rutledge's ability to keep going without food, sleep or petrol for his car seemed a bit excessive, but it does speak for his dogged character and determination to find the truth.

'The Confession' is a very good read and keeps me a fan of this series for, I suspect, a long time to come.

THE CONFESSION (Pol. Proc-Insp. Ian Rutledge-England-1920) - VG
Todd, Charles ' 14th in series
Wm. Morrow, 2012
One person found this helpful
on January 24, 2012
I have come to really enjoy the Ian Rutledge mysteries, Charles Todd really likes to keep us biting our nails but this particular book is a stand out when it comes to twisted tales. I am reluctant to give any of book away. You have to read every word, no scanning through this book, it is not just a matter of "who is the murderer?" but "who, and why, is the corpse?". This is a lot livelier than most Rutledge books and once started, needs to be kept within reach for those five minutes you might have free. It is a classic English murder mystery novel that needs to be read by everyone that enjoys this particular genre!