Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition Luxury Beauty home Kindle Tools

on October 30, 2016
Simple and friendly read. I love your tips, routine before bed and I did read it even if my baby is doing full nights since 10 days old. Not just tired moms picks up your book ;) As a book worm and new mom, I recommend this book!
on January 7, 2004
A great guide for moms and dads who don't feel that crying it out is right for them and their baby. Elizabeth offers many wonderful ideas to help your baby sleep longer - without any crying!!! Easy to read for tired out moms.
on November 27, 2014
One of Elizabeth's main ideas is that early to bed does not mean early to rise, insisting parents put their children to bed early and that it can only benefit their sleep at night. She also emphasizes that children should take longer naps, adamant that children who take longer naps will sleep longer periods at night as well. I took these ideas quite seriously, struggling to put my first child back to sleep during the day when he woke after 45 minutes.

Further she propagates estimates of how much total sleep children should get at different ages that are completely outdated. Those estimates seem to be based on Ferber's original estimates based on his observations in 1986. He has since updated those estimates with years of data from his sleep clinic showing results that are quite different. Most importantly, he outlines very clearly that children will sleep the same amount on average per day regardless of how long or how little their naps are!

So for example, a typical range of total hours (daytime and nightime included) for a child two years of age is 11-12 hours, with an average of 11.5 hours according to 30 years of data (not 13 hours as is posted in Pantley's book and elsewhere). The 11.5 hours is divided between naps and nightime sleep. So if your two year old is sleeping a 1.5 hour nap in the afternoon, that leaves 10 hours at night. As such, a night time sleep from 9:30 pm to 7:30 am is not just acceptable for a two year old, it's completely healthy and normal.

This fact helped our family tremendously!!! If my kid has a longer nap, I put him to bed later. If he sleeps a short nap I put him to bed earlier. It works and it makes sense. A lot of agony parents experience is related to unrealistic expectations and these are rampant in Elizabeth's book.

Parents that are looking for a no-cry sleep solution would still be wise to read Ferber's updated book. The practical methods that Pantley does offer such as establishing routine and cues etc. are all explained with evidence by Ferber and the cry-it-out recipe he offers is only offered there as a parent's last resort.
on November 18, 2014
Thank goodness for books like these. And for people who will try and find other solutions than to just let infants Cry It Out.

With the help of this book I'm able to put my son to sleep without him crying it out. =)
on August 31, 2002
After a year of being up all night with our baby and trying to be patient and wait for her to start to sleep all on her own we gave up and decided we need to do something. I bought several books about sleep and this is the one that made the most sense and helped us to get our baby to sleep all night and nap better too. We don't believe in letting babies cry it out so we had no interest in any book that recommended it. Most of the others that don't recommend crying don't have any solutions except to be patient but we were patient for long enough. I found this book easy to read and easy to understand. It has so many different ideas that I think every family can find solutions to their own sleep issues. It has ideas for newborns and ideas for older children too. It's worth every penny we paid for it and we plan to use it as a guide for our next baby right from the beginning.
on July 31, 2016
This has been a saving grace for us! Highly recommend for anyone who's not into using the CIO method. I was skeptical but wih persistence it's paying off! (Minus when he got sick..but of course that's to be expected).
on September 8, 2013
I read the entire book and the author is persuasive on her views. I ended up feeling it wouldn't be the best route for my child though as it is way too gradual and my child would know what was going on and resist.
on January 1, 2004
This method is great in theory, however it hasn't helped my baby sleep any better after 3-4 months of using the technique. Other people seem to have better luck, so it could just be that my baby is a tougher case.
on April 16, 2014
Pantely delivers very simple and effective ways of helping you and your baby to a more sleep-filled night. It does take A LOT of patience to do the different techniques. Well worth the effort, though!
on October 7, 2015
I have read this book when my baby was just an infant. It helped me to set right choices and routine from the start. It prepared me for natural obstacles caused by babes developmental phases. My baby was good sleeper thanks to that book until 9 month old, when she gained new milestones such as crawling and pulling up. Now I'm reading it again and found all solutions I needed. This book will provide no miracles but common sense steps how to gel your baby. Your role is to be consistent and it will work.
I only don't like personal stile writing, but that is my preference. Does not minimize how great this book is. I found every advice useful.
Would definitely recommend even if you don't have sleeping problems with your baby.