countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 13, 2003
The approach of this book is based on experimental data rather than the deduced facts. I have tride many books to prepare me for the GRE subject text in Biochem/cell/Molecular biology. However, many of the books were concentrating on plain facts rather than on experimental data. Some of the GRE question especially the longer and difficult ones are not concerened with memorized facts. Rather, they present to you experimental data in the form of graphs and charts and ask you questions based on them. Of all the books that I sampled this is the only one that provided the necessary levels of understanding for me to tackle such questions. This is also true in a life of a beginning graduate student who is required to make sense out of graphs, numbers and charts in per reviewed journal articles. This book is most useful for such individuals. For lower level undergraduates this book is best when used with in conjunction with another introductory text book such as Molecular Cells biology by by lodish.
on December 8, 2001
I am a faculty member at a liberal arts college in Pennsylvania and will be using this textbook for the third year in a row. While the style of the text IS difficult for students at the beginning, as they become comfortable with it, they use it more and more as a resource. Every year I have the students evaluate the textbook and this book has received high marks both years I have used it. An instructor using this textbook needs to spend more time discussing the details with the students in the beginning, which decrease the total amount of material you can cover during the semester. However, after using this textbook, students can pick up the primary literature and are quite conversant with it. My class consists of students ranging from second semester sophomores through second semester seniors. If you just want to lecture to students, this may not be the textbook for you to use, but if you want to engage your students in the ways that molecular biologists solve problems, this textbook is an excellent choice.
on November 3, 2003
I have not had the luck of being taught by dr. weaver and maybe due to this reason i had trouble with the book. as soon as i read about 15 pages, i realized that i could not...summarize what i just read! the book does it for you, but even after reading the book summary, i still had the feeling 'I DONT KNOW WHAT I JUST READ!' I had used a histology book that gave me a similar feeling. All my problems were solved simply by getting a different histology book.
This book does, at times, go into greater level of detail than alberts, but if you are like me, you will be no smarter after reading the book than you were before.
A preview of this book may not be enough to know whether this book is made for you or not, so make sure you have a couple of days on your return policy in case it doesnt work for you.
on November 3, 2003
on April 8, 2002
Most classes I have taken at the undergraduate level have only presented the facts and theories of molecular and cell biology. Dr. Weaver's text, and the two classes I have taken from him, have given me insight into how those facts were obtained. His text presents the questions of scientists, why they were asked, and how they were answered, including interpretation of the data. This is very important to someone training to be a research scientist.
Yes, it may be understandable only to upper level students, but that is for whom the book is meant. The first two or three years of college should give a student enough background. This book will help elaborate on that information, and more importantly, answer the why and how.
on April 8, 2002
on August 10, 2003
I had the good fortune of taking Gene Expression from Professor Weaver himself and have to say that this is a fantastic book used in a fantastic class. I'm halfway through Medical School headed toward a residency in Medical Genetics and I still pull this book out from time to time to clarify salient points that I have forgotten through time. This is a great book for students with a strong background in molecular biology.
I might also add that Professor Weaver is a really nice guy, so it's good karma to buy his book. :)
on June 29, 2012
usually biology books are very big and daunting and extremely boring to read to the point that i always avoid reading them as much as possible, but this is one of the few books that is not too difficult to read and actually helps you understand a lot of the techniques used in research. i like it!
on February 13, 2010
Product arrived as described, within the time window suggested although to the later end of it. It came oddly in a large USPS mail bag (and then wrapped with bubble wrap/cardboard, but otherwise, good product, good condition, great seller!!
on February 22, 2013
This book is just like the hard cover one it's just much cheaper.
Also it came much sooner than they had estimated at the time of purchasing.