countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 26, 2004
The comparisons between Brian Jaques' world of Redwall and Mossflower Woods and Tolkein's Middle Earth masterpieces are inevitable, as both authors create full worlds of cultures, languages and races. But there are definite advantages to the "Redwall" series, especially this first offering. Jaques writes with more precise description, and does not manage to bore the readers with endless exposition on the different creatures that the readers encounter, without sacrificing what we need to know about the rats, stoats, mice, badgers and hedgehogs.
"Redwall" is the story of a peaceful abbey in the middle of Mossflower forest until it is invaded by the menacing rat Cluny the Scourge. One young mouse inside the abbey, Matthias, begins his quest to find the sword of the legendary Martin the Warrior, the sworn protector of Redwall and its inhabitants. As the peace-loving and caring citizens of Redwall defend their land against the rat horde, Matthias heads out into the world to find the sword, encountering numerous adventures along the way. This novel is a page turner, and the 400+ pages absolutely fly by. It is easy to become engrossed in the world that Jaques has created, and to appreciate the harmony within the abbey walls and the disorder in the cuthroat rat army.
There are great adventures here, comparable to Frodo's journey to Mordor with the one ring. Perhaps this series is meant for the younger crowd, but there is plenty here to engross any fans of fantasy literature, and "Redwall" is only the tip of the iceberg, as this series has spawned a dozen or so books. Brian Jaques and his more accesible writing style make this an unmissable book for readers young or old.
on January 26, 1999
Brian Jaques' Martain the Worrior, Mossflower, and Redwall series are the BEST books I've ever read. The books are very funny and exciting and has very lovable characters. I don't usually read books, but after I've read MossFlower (first book of series, I bought them all one after the other and read them all. They are great; Jaques' descriptions of the settings suck you into the book and sets you in the joyous mood that the novels are in. You should buy Mossflower first and read about Martin the Worrior, and his friends Gonff, Log-a-Log, and Dinny. The Redwall books are great and brings you out of a depresed mood and sets you in the Mossflower woods or Redwall abby in the time of worriors and tyrants. Oh, and if the author sees this review, I think that you should write the books not so distantly apart with the same characters; say, two books for each generation of characters. I kinda miss reading about Martin and his friends and I think the Mossflower is the best book ever.
on October 16, 2001
Imagine a story about a bunch of mice in a castle under seige against an army of evel rats. Imagine the middle ages with swords and bows andarrows, but they have animals such as rat's mice and moles. Each is better than others. I recommend this book for children ten years or older. This auther Brian Jaque's decribes the charactors talking like the animalsw they are. This book Red Wall is by favroit book. It has a good story,it feels like you are in the book.
This book is a belivable fanticy book because it feeles like I'm in the book. The book Hatchet was my favroit novel. Now that I've read this book, it's so much better. The book Hatchet is still a good book. Ounce you read this booki you will want to read the whole series. In this book you never know what is going to happen next. This book Red Wall is my favroit novel.
No other books can compare to this one. It's because it is the only book I've ever read for pleasurs. I first got this book for by birthday. I like it because my name is Brian and the auther of Red Wall and the seires is by Brian Jaque's. This book was so good because before I used to wach T.V. and play video games and things like that. Now I read more. I don't watch T.V. and do things that I used to do.
on April 17, 2002
Redwall is a very interesting story of a young mouse named Matthias. He has always never fitted into the Order of Redwall because of his bold spirit. He soon realized that the fate of Redwall lies in his hands for Cluny the Scourge has come to Mossflower. Solving riddle after riddle he and the ancient mouse Methuselah strives to recover the abbey's only hope of survival: the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior. This leads you Matthias to leave his beloved abbey to quest for this lost sword. After suffering much he finally gains the knowledge of where the sword is but one challenge still remains, the great adder Asmodeus who guards the sword. With the help of the Guosim shrews he successfully retrieves the sword and kills the great snake. However, tragedy strikes at Redwall Abbey. Cluny the Scourge has taken Redwall! Just as he was about to kill the Father Abbot Mortimer Matthias appears. He and Cluny start a duel while the vermin horde of Cluny battles the Guosim Shrews and Sparra warriors. Cluny is killed when Matthias cuts the great Joseph Bell and crushes Cluny.
I really enjoyed this book and others in this series. The best parts, in my opinion, were probably the great battle against Cluny the Scourge and when Matthias was questing for the sword. This book offers great enjoyment and it is hard to put down once you start. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a book for reading at leisure.
on January 11, 2001
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. Redwall is a peaceful animal village that is beautiful and very elegant. The animals that inhabit it are ethical forest creatures.The main character is Matthis, an adventurous, young, and spirited orphan, left at the Redwall entrance. He is now, still young, but quite mature for his age. He has become one of the pack. Full of morales, and caring. Now, Cluny the Scrouge, a rat known for being terrible and for taking over villages, is trying to take over Redwall. Since everyone in Redwall is refusing to surrender, they are forced to fight a awr with Cluny, even though it is against their ways. A part that I thought was quite descriptive and exciting was when Mathias and Guosim, a shreww friend of Matthias', fight the adder for possesion of Martin the Warriors' sword. The adder is a legendary snake, foe of all. He is known as "Asmodeus", for the sound thta he makes. Asmodeus is huge, and legendarily known for his viciousness and poisoness fangs. I can't tell you who succeeds, though. The brutality of war even affected Cluny. He literally went mad. I'd describe this book as adventurous and eventful. The characters and plot are unbelievable. Although the plot is, at times difficult to follow, it is riviting at its higher points. I'd recommend this book for anyone who's read Any other Brian Jacques books.
on December 17, 1999
I am probably correct when I say that many of you people out there, mainly children, don't like to read. Well, I guess that i could say the same about me, too until I actually decide to pick up a book. But when you pick up this exciting book, you just can't put it down. This book is called Redwall. The adventures of Matthias and his Abbey against the great Cluny the Scurge, will leave you with an everlasting, curious thought on what will happen next. Matthias makes his way from being a clumsy mouse to an adventurous, brave mouse that is seaking the possesions of the great Martin the Warrior, the great warrior of Redwall. And Cluny goes from being the fear in everyone's mind and fire in everyone's eyes to, I think we can beat this guy and, ohhh wow, Cluny the Scurge, I'm so afraid. This well written book, by Brian Jacques, keeps you reeding as he brings you back to the olden' days and makes you feel like you're right there in the action fighting Cluny and Matthias yourself. He makes you feel like you are wondering through the woods just waiting for what will happen next. So pick up this bbok and enter the lives of the animals of Redwall.
on November 30, 2001
I got this book from a garage sale (I despise the people who sold it; I never will)
I am a good reader, and am constantly looking for books. This series was recommeneded to me by a friend, but in the library it was completely checked out. That obviously meant people wanted to read it (it's not the kind for a book-report assignment), so the second I saw it I bought it. I finished it in two days (a record over my reading of Harry Potter) but read it over and over again. Then when I went on holiday I took it with me. It was one of the two english books I had with me. I read it six times.
The plot-line of this book is amazing. It doesn't lag or speed, when it's sad you cry (at least I did) and when it's happy you smile. Brian Jaques (did you know it's said Jakes?) keeps you in the palm of his hand, until the very end.
The only noticeable bad thing in this book is that the good characters are REALLY, REALLY good, and the bad ones are HORRID. Otherwise, this book is perfect.
I also recommend this book to the people who would rather play nintendo, or whatever, rather than read. This book is gripping, and has more action than any nintendo game.The descriptions are so good you don't have to strain your mind to visualise the scenes. Also, this book has many Wordmaster words -8th grade-(something that other reviewers complained about, I noticed) which I have learned partly by rereading this book.
Good luck and read this book!!!!
Also read the rest of the series, and THE GOLDEN COMPASS and SABRIEL
on April 5, 2001
Brian Jacques's first Redwall book is fantastic! Full of adventure and excitement, it will capture any fiction-lover's attention. Matthias, a clumsy, orphaned mouse, is the main character in this compelling story. He was taken in by the peaceful Redwallers at Redwall Abbey,a great sandstone place. It has a beautiful orchard, a nice pond, and nice beasts living there. In the dining hall hangs a magnificent tapestry of Martin the Warrior, the famed warrior and founder of Redwall. The story was, Martin defeated every foe with his sword and then one day vowed to never fight again. He helped build Redwall. The tapestry is the Redwallers' pride. Martin the Warrior was believed to help the Redwallers at troubling times by appearing in their dreams. One fateful day, a large rat with one eye comes. He is Cluny the Scourge, an evil, notorious rat that had a large army. He is looking for a fortress. As soon as he finds Redwall, he decides he wants to invade it and make it his. While he is in Mossflower, he is set on making Redwall his Cluny's Castle. He tries any way to dominate Redwall. Meanwhile, Matthias is trying to prove his worth. He admires and adores Martin. He works out challenging puzzles to find Martin's sword. He basically tries to become like Martin; an undefeatable warrior who fights for justice. Will he succeed? Will Cluny defeat the untrained Redwall army? This tale is truly superb, filled with sadness and delight. You should read it!
on June 9, 2000
Set in a medieval backdrop, animals take the place of people in this fictional tale of pirates, heros and quests. Though there are many characters in the story which can make this story quite difficult to follow, the main character Matthias is the one that most sticks out in my mind. Though he is a mouse he acts with human qualities showing fear, intimidation as well as emotion throughout the story. The characters replicate human qualities so well that the reader can hardly tell that they even are animals.
The plot was very complex to understand and was difficult to follow. The true challenge of understadning the dialect as well as what was going on throughout the story.Despite the constant plot twists and turns the characters Matthias, Cluny as well as Abbot Mortimer made for delightful creatures which greatly enhanced the story to its fullness. Redwall was full of colorful characters as well as good content.I enjoyed the story because of the way the author makes every creature an indiviual in their own right which made them so much more real to the reader.
Redwall makes it archtypes and other mythical stories rank high on book review charts.I found that though some parts were dull and not very substantial to the storyline I also found that there emotions that they express makes up for the lack of bordem in the novel. Though a few points were made to be recognized the story makes us think of who we are and how well we can relate ourselves to the actual woodland creatures of Redwall.
on November 3, 2001
Judging the book by its cover, I thought Brian Jaques work would be an intelligent flight of the imagination. What I found instead was a book that seemed to read more like a cartoon movie and borrow plots from countless other works before his. The language at times was so simple and fractured that I couldn't believe it got past the editor's nose, and at other times the sentences were so packed with difficult vocabulary words I can only imagine the frustration of a young reader who would have to keep stopping midsentence to seek out an adult or look to a dictionary to make a what was just read coherent. By all means, I am in favor of stretching a child's vocabulary, but to write a child's book in total disregard of the language of an average child?
I also found several passages confusing, such as a mistakes in referencing the evil ferret as a "her" in some places and a "he" in others.
I must admit, though, that something pulled me through to the end, and it was a good outline for a story. I guess I'm just disappointed with the end result.